• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rafter ties

Re: Rafter ties

brudgers said:
Table 3.9 in AF&PA WFCM 2001 gives the factors needed for calculating the additional strength required at the rafter to plate connection based on how high up the tie is.
I like the WFCM, but remember the limitations of the WFCM. Chapter 1.1 Scope presents many limitations on WFCM's usage. But it does fill in a lot of blanks left by the IRC with plenty of good illustrations. Every building department and every homebuilder should have one.

TJacobs said:
brudgers said:
Table 3.9 in AF&PA WFCM 2001 gives the factors needed for calculating the additional strength required at the rafter to plate connection based on how high up the tie is.
I like the WFCM, but remember the limitations of the WFCM. Chapter 1.1 Scope presents many limitations on WFCM's usage. But it does fill in a lot of blanks left by the IRC with plenty of good illustrations. Every building department and every homebuilder should have one.

From a design standpoint, some of the information is specific to the geometry limitations...generally, components of the MWFRS.

Other parts like Table 3.9 are valid beyond the geometry limitations...the distribution of forces in a rafter with a tie is the same regardless of the length of the rafter...only the magnitude changes.

My point is raising the tie a foot should not automatcially require engineering.

If you are checking the adequacy of the rafter to plate connection (which in my opinion, you should be doing particularly if whe your worried enough about it to require engineering for a slight deviation), then it's another 30 seconds to determine if it is adequate for the additional thrust.

It's just alternate means and methods.

jar546 said:
I am not looking to cover my butt, I am here to ensure safety.
First, the "man who draw with pencil" thing has my whole office laughing.

Second, well said.

If the tie is halfway up the rafter, the bending moment in the rafter is tripled. You may have to resize the rafter in addition to providing more nails.

Paul Sweet said:
If the tie is halfway up the rafter, the bending moment in the rafter is tripled. You may have to resize the rafter in addition to providing more nails.
As I'm certain you know, for a rafter of 7 feet or more, moving the horizontal member up a foot will reduce the maximum bending.

That was the original question.

The one to which I suggested that requiring engineering might be unnecessary and for which I used the table a tool for assisting in making such a determination.

Be careful about the number of nails, you could run out of wood. Options may shift from a cluster of nails to a couple of 1/8" thick steel plates sandwiching the rafter tie and a 1" diameter lag bolt.minimally a 2x6 rafter tie and rafter. 2x4 (I would say 3/8" lag bolt max size. The plates are for reinforcement.

Just some loose thoughts. Sizing would need to be determined with prescribed loads.... now where is that International Performance Code.

RickAstoria said:
Be careful about the number of nails, you could run out of wood. Options may shift from a cluster of nails to a couple of 1/8" thick steel plates sandwiching the rafter tie and a 1" diameter lag bolt.minimally a 2x6 rafter tie and rafter. 2x4 (I would say 3/8" lag bolt max size. The plates are for reinforcement.Just some loose thoughts. Sizing would need to be determined with prescribed loads.... now where is that International Performance Code.
Rick, would you object if I used "Be careful about the number of nails, you could run out of wood" in my signature? Thanks in advance.

Speaking of nails....There's a section in the IRC that states you can substitute a 40 penny nail for 16d's when nailing down rafters..........just imagine how that would work????

texasbo said:
RickAstoria said:
Be careful about the number of nails, you could run out of wood. Options may shift from a cluster of nails to a couple of 1/8" thick steel plates sandwiching the rafter tie and a 1" diameter lag bolt.minimally a 2x6 rafter tie and rafter. 2x4 (I would say 3/8" lag bolt max size. The plates are for reinforcement.Just some loose thoughts. Sizing would need to be determined with prescribed loads.... now where is that International Performance Code.
Rick, would you object if I used "Be careful about the number of nails, you could run out of wood" in my signature? Thanks in advance.

Sure, it is a good and funny line.