• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

railings onto 1'-2" high stage

I see several issues with this layout as shown. First of all, it has generally been agreed that the occupant load of the Stage/Music room exceeds 50 persons, so the door at the bottom of the ramp as shown swings in the wrong direction. Even if the steps off the front of the stage were to be considered as part of the means of egress, the moving wall at the top riser is not a code-compliant component of means of egress. (Even if the moving wall were to have a door in it, a door at the top riser is not permissible.) The steps are required to have handrails on both sides. One last thing to consider is that, if this is an NFPA jurisdiction, the tread depth is required to be 13".

A suggested solution: Pull the folding partion "south" toward the stage opening far enough to provide a code compliant stair and landing in between the folding partition enclosure and the wall that separates the Stage/Music room from the Table Storage room.
This must be in response to ccolling's earlier plan, not Sifu's recent plan. I believe I suggested same plan modification in post #8.

Can you point me to the 13" tread depth requirement in NFPA 101 and/or 5000? Thanks!