• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Raised Dodgeball Trampoline Courts

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
I performed a preliminary review for a tenant finish that will feature an indoor raised dodgeball trampoline court. I am not sure as to the exact height above the floor this court will be raised, however, for the purposes of this discussion, I am going to assume 36" in order to cover all potentially applicable conditions. The design shown, provided only a small stair and landing outside the door/entrance point for the court.

Is a ramp required?

If it's determined it is required, we need to re-write the accessibility code. A trampoline requires a certain amount of physical capabilities that anyone able to use the trampoline should be able to handle the stairs.

MarkRandall said:
If it's determined it is required, we need to re-write the accessibility code. A trampoline requires a certain amount of physical capabilities that anyone able to use the trampoline should be able to handle the stairs.
Haven't you ever seen a small child being bounced by larger children jumping up and down on it?

Just because some handicapped people cannot use something in a typical manner doesn't mean access isn't required, e.g. we require wheelchair access to basketball courts even though people in wheelchairs can't slam dunk.

brudgers said:
e.g. we require wheelchair access to basketball courts even though people in wheelchairs can't slam dunk.
Have you ever watched murderball (wheel-chair basketball) brudgers? I would say that is more exciting that some of the NBA finals I have seen lately.

I think 1109.14(4.2) of the 2006 IBC sums it up when talking about court sports. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Coug Dad said:
Becareful though since the Nebraska State Fire Marshal uses the old version of ADAAG and not IBC/ANSI.
Thanks Coug,

According to Nebraska Adminstrative Code, Title 156, we are the AHJ/political subdivision responsible for ADA reviews and enforcement and we use the most stringent of the two guidelines (ANSI A117.1-2003 & 1991 ADAAG) in combination with the IBC & Title 156 for scoping provisions. The State Fire Marshal, while still using the 91 guidelines, does not have jurisdiction here for ADA issues, and is referenced only for interpretations. The scoping provisions of Title 156 do not cover sports courts, where as the IBC does.

I am hoping that those are the only ducks. I am still waiting to hear from Handler if any more need to get placed into the 'row.'

mtlogcabin said:
Why does a Fire Marshal use an accessibility code? Just curious
mt,

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, however in most portions of Nebraska, the State (Fire Marshal, Electrical Board, etc.) is the AHJ, and in those cases, Title 156 gives the State Fire Marshal responsibility to review and enforce the life safety and accessibility codes.