• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

RangeHood Requirements - Panhandle FL

cedenton

Hello! I have a rental property in Pensacola, FL. The range needs replaced. It is an electric downdraft range in an island, with no range hood. Replacing this type of stove will be as much as $3000.

In review of the Florida Building code online it says: .
Exception: Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

As best I can tell, natural ventilation could be the window and door in that room. Not sure because it conveniently doesn't provide a definition or if it does I can't find it because you have to pay to be able to search the code. So, it seem to me we could put a ductless hood above a regular electric stove and be good to go. Am I misunderstanding the code? I don't understand why the appliance guy didn't suggest this, if so. Instead they quoted $7k plus to install one with ductwork and basically have to remodel the kitchen.

Welcome

Check this for access to codes::

Similar question check the answers:::

Welcome

Check this for access to codes::

Similar question check the answers:::

Thank, yes, the quote in my original post was from the Florida code and I did see the forum question/answer you linked, too, but since it was specific to Pennsylvania, I wasn't sure it was applicable.

I was just checking to see if others felt the interpretation of Florida code as I described it in my original post, was consistent with what the experts would say.

Thank, yes, the quote in my original post was from the Florida code and I did see the forum question/answer you linked, too, but since it was specific to Pennsylvania, I wasn't sure it was applicable.

I was just checking to see if others felt the interpretation of Florida code as I described it in my original post, was consistent with what the experts would say.

If you give it a day or two for a reply, there is a Florida inspector on the forum

Hello! I have a rental property in Pensacola, FL. The range needs replaced. It is an electric downdraft range in an island, with no range hood. Replacing this type of stove will be as much as $3000.

In review of the Florida Building code online it says: .
Exception: Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

As best I can tell, natural ventilation could be the window and door in that room. Not sure because it conveniently doesn't provide a definition or if it does I can't find it because you have to pay to be able to search the code. So, it seem to me we could put a ductless hood above a regular electric stove and be good to go. Am I misunderstanding the code? I don't understand why the appliance guy didn't suggest this, if so. Instead they quoted $7k plus to install one with ductwork and basically have to remodel the kitchen.
Is this a condo, single family home, townhouse, duplex or other?

Single family home

If it is a regular electric range then no hood is required. However, if it is considered an open top broiler then you must have a metal exhaust hood.
Since it is a rental property I don't understand why you wouldn't invest the money into maintaining what it already has in place. This is an investment in your investment property.

If it is a regular electric range then no hood is required. However, if it is considered an open top broiler then you must have a metal exhaust hood.
Since it is a rental property I don't understand why you wouldn't invest the money into maintaining what it already has in place. This is an investment in your investment property.
I'm not really sure I understand your confusion. The current type of stove that needs replaced is an extremely expensive model. This property was inherited and is barely breaking even so putting a $3k range in doesn't make sense. We also just had a hurricane hit last fall and thousands in other expenses with that property right now. How is simply replacing it with a brand new, but different type of stove and adding a ductless hood, not maintaining the property? Both will be brand new and upgrade the look of the property and for probably 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

thank you for your answer, though!
P.S. Thank you for your response, though! It is helpful.

As usual, "it depends" on your point of view. A great gift but expensive to maintain if only a break even.