• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rated corridors in open office

Frankencense

I am doing an open office renovation. Single story building, 3500 sf, Type III-B construction, unsprinklered, B occupancy, California Building Code. The intent is to keep an open feel to the space, but not create corridors or sprinkler the space. I have two exits with good separation, each with plenty of width, each opening directly from the space to grade, and travel distance is not a problem. Occupant load is 35, based on the 1:100 ratio for open office business areas. Single tenant in the space.

Question: Is a rated corridor required to connect the exits? CBC Table 1018.1 shows that an unsprinklered B occupancy with an "occupant load served by corridor" > 30 requires a 1-hour rated corridor. Since I have two exits, the "occupant load served" by each exit equals 18. However, if one exit goes down, must the remaining exit "serve" all 35 occupants, thus requiring a rated corridor connecting the two exits?

If you do not have anything that looks like a corridor on your plans, than NO. You are not required to add one.

Only applies if you decide to have a corridor.

oh missed that detail!!!

welcome

I see you are from the state of confusion, there are a few on the forum from there, so great resource.

do you mind saying waht you do for a living?

Ah, yes there is a condition with a moveable partition that, when closed, could be interpreted as a corridor, but I can remove that.

Thanks, all!

Not sure if the partition changes anything

Does it just divide a room??

The partition basically divides off a 700 sf corner of the space, but when closed it does create an adjacent 4' wide x 36' long space which leads to an exit. I suppose this "looks like a corridor", but like I said I can remove the partition.

Agree

A little hard to make calls on this forum without seeing a floor plan

Which can be posted if you want for this or future questions

OK, I've attached a plan for this one. Note that the curtain has been deleted, so it is no longer a concern.I simplified the original post a bit for clarity, so here are some updates based on the plan: At the North exit (which is the area of concern) I have 37 people exiting. Question is: do I need a rated corridor in the Training Area leading to the North exit?I see that the passage just outside the Training Area leading to the exit door can be considered a rated corridor since occupancy >30; that's fine. And I understand that IF I provided a corridor in the Training Area it should be rated, but I see the egress through this room as "unenclosed exit access" as Steveray says. Furthermore, the Meeting Room occupancy is accessory to the Training Area, so I don't see an intervening space issue.Thoughts?

View attachment 751

View attachment 751

/monthly_2013_07/572953c980224_Officeplan.jpg.65f97374d500b34ebc8340951d8b389f.jpg