• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rated wall between drive thru and convenience store?

So is the sfm the only one that reviews this project or is a building dept involved somewhere along the line????

We take the cake on that one...We usually defer preliminary reviews until after they have met with sfm because the two codes just don't match up. Few Nebraska jurisdictions have an sfm for in house reviews. Most require an independent 2000 edition review through the sfm state office, and the sfm has recently taken the position that they don't really care if an IBC AHJ issues a C of O prior to their final inspection. Other than that the locals are great to work with.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
We take the cake on that one...We usually defer preliminary reviews until after they have met with sfm because the two codes just don't match up. Few Nebraska jurisdictions have an sfm for in house reviews. Most require an independent 2000 edition review through the sfm state office, and the sfm has recently taken the position that they don't really care if an IBC AHJ issues a C of O prior to their final inspection. Other than that the locals are great to work with.
So who wins out if there is a conflict between sfm and Bo???

For this particular location, both the local code guru and the FM review plans independently.

The most restrictive interpretation of the two AHJ applies.

Generally speaking, the State Fire Marshal reviews in accordance with Life Safety Code

and the local Building Official reviews in accordance with the 2009 IBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ = +

RLGA asked:

"Do they really think cars will be parked there during closed hours?"
IMO, it's not really a matter of vehicles being parked in therewhen the business is closed, but maybe while the business is open........In

an enclosed building with vehicles, humans, petroleum & alcohol products

tends to be a dangerous mix, just begging for an ignition source.

[ Example: Dick & Jane roll in to purchase some `shine.........Possibly

their sled is already overheating and not running too well......It stalls

out inside the Liquor Dispensary and catches fire, ...possibly from

faulty electrical wiring, or from Dick & Jane having a rolling meth

lab in the rig with them......Either way, now there's a fire event

inside the building ]...Essentially, I do not know if I would disagree

with the SFM......I WOULD however try to come to some sort of

reasonable design solution, ...if possible!......Just sayin' that

unintentional vehicle fires DO occur inside of buildings, and this

particular project needs to be looked at a little more closely.

No disrespect intended or aimed at anyone!

= + =

if you wind up requireing rated glass appears 8.2.3.2.2 allows an alternative, and I thought I heard that it is now accepted to wet non rated glass, in place of rated glass::

one ciites approach::

http://www.sjfd.org/FirePrev/water_wall.pdf

36.1.2.2 talks about parking structures, and does not appeared to be defined in 101, but refers you fron section 42.8 which refers you to nfpa 88A not sure which edition

6.1.14.2 seems to allow you to call it an m or s and apply the most restrictive to the entire building

are you dealing with a plan reviewer, and if so have you tried to have a set down with that person's boss??

7.2.1.4.1 exception 4 says an overhead door is good for occupant load of less than 10, so that covered area has to have an occupant load of less than ten

not sure how he is defining 36.3.2, part of that building"high Hazard" when the sprinklers will normaly eliminate any rated walls

north star said:
+ = +RLGA asked:

IMO, it's not really a matter of vehicles being parked in there

when the business is closed, but maybe while the business is open........In

an enclosed building with vehicles, humans, petroleum & alcohol products

tends to be a dangerous mix, just begging for an ignition source.

[ Example: Dick & Jane roll in to purchase some `shine.........Possibly

their sled is already overheating and not running too well......It stalls

out inside the Liquor Dispensary and catches fire, ...possibly from

faulty electrical wiring, or from Dick & Jane having a rolling meth

lab in the rig with them......Either way, now there's a fire event

inside the building ]...Essentially, I do not know if I would disagree

with the SFM......I WOULD however try to come to some sort of

reasonable design solution, ...if possible!......Just sayin' that

unintentional vehicle fires DO occur inside of buildings, and this

particular project needs to be looked at a little more closely.

No disrespect intended or aimed at anyone!

= + =
so if it was open on three sides , put still attached to the building, would you need heartburn medicine???

Does anyone have a drawing of the proposed area? I've seen earlier that he talks about the area being 1300sf and another place or talks about it being 24ft long. Is both of these are correct is a very strange shaped addition is I'm sure one of them is incorrect. If the 1300 is indeed correct and the area remains enclosed I can fully understand the need for the separation wall.

The store is 1400 and enclosed area 1300

The enclosed area is a drive through for the business

And that's it as in a "M" throughout

No drawing

Where a structure is proposed for a purpose that specifically provided for in this code, such structure shall be classiifed in the group that the occupancy most nearly resembles, according to the fire safety and relative hazards involved. 2009IBC, Section 302. I realize this quote is not from the 101 Life Safety Code, but I'll bet they have very similar language.

cda said:
if you wind up requireing rated glass appears 8.2.3.2.2 allows an alternative, and I thought I heard that it is now accepted to wet non rated glass, in place of rated glass::eek:ne ciites approach::

http://www.sjfd.org/FirePrev/water_wall.pdf

Beat me too it. You have the sprinkler system so it makes sense but if you didn't, how about fire shutters that cover the glass? Had a large glass wall that was also a seperation wall, instead of fire glass, shutters were specified and installed, triggered by heat sensors and also tied into the fire alarm panel.

Ask for code numbers, no code reference...not enforceable. This FM has to have someone that signs his paycheck.

Could the "parking area" be a "U" occupancy under 406.1.2? I don't know a thing about 101 but this type of business has been around for over 20 years in the south east that I have known about with no seperations.

FM. Where you been vacation???

We have been waiting for your words of wisdom on this thread

Well since you asked CDA, I view the situation as follows and it should be viewed as a Class C Mercantile:

The SFMO will use the 09 version of 101 with state amendments. According to this, the facility should be classified as a Mercantile C and should be viewed as such and as follows:

6.1.14.1.3* Where incidental to another occupancy, areas used as follows shall be permitted to be considered part of the predominant occupancy and shall be subject to the provisions of the Code that apply to the predominant occupancy:
(1) Mercantile, business, industrial, or storage use
This would allow the open air drive thru and associated “occupied” vehicles awaiting goods as part of the mercantile occupancy. They are not stored nor are they un-occupied or stationary making it a “parking structure” as defined in 101……

3.3.170.21 Parking Structure Sections of the Florida code.

However, there is the “hazard of contents” provision the SFMO should have considered and used not the “parking structure” argument.

6.2.1.3* For the purpose of this Code, where different degrees of hazard of contents exist in different parts of a building or structure, the most hazardous shall govern the classification, unless hazardous areas are separated or protected as specified in Section 8.7 and the applicable sections of Chapters 11 through 43.
The “Hazard of Contents” area of the code is one often used by myself and others to gain greater levels of protection for situations that have the potential to present greater risk and that may not be specifically prescribed for in the building code.

This jurisdiction might have been able to apply this in classifying the occupied vehicles in waiting as a high hazard (see definition....flame, smoke and explosion):

36.3.2.2* High Hazard Contents Areas. High hazard contents areas, as classified in Section 6.2, shall meet all of the following criteria:
(1) The area shall be separated from other parts of the building by fire barriers having a minimum 1-hour fire resistance rating, with all openings therein protected by self-closing fire door assemblies having a minimum 3/4-hour fire protection rating.

(2) The area shall be protected by an automatic extinguishing system in accordance with 9.7.1.1(1) or 9.7.1.2.

(3) In high hazard areas, all vertical openings shall be enclosed.
Now with that all being noted; I agree with the probability that there could be a car fire in the drive thru but this potential could exist at the exterior and or in proximity to any number of mercantile situations and occupancies. Personally, I would assure there was adequate egress from the convenience store area, drive thru and the facility had plenty of portable extinguishing capability and move on to the next one……choose your battles wisely.

I would be happy to travel to Tallahassee :)

Back when I sold beer, my best account was the BX Beer Depot in Lake Worth, Florida and they were a non separated, non sprinkled drive thru.

FM thanks for putting down the fishing pole a minute

I think this is happening in Nebreska ;;;;

2000 edition Nfpa 101 if it is Nebraska

Oh....don't know where I got Florida from but the same should hold true for the 00 edition of 101 and amendments in Lincoln minus my willingness to go there :)

cda said:
So who wins out if there is a conflict between sfm and Bo???
The SFM is usually the most restrictive, so they almost always win out on that technicality, but when we console ourselves en masse on friday afternoons, we claim to be the winners of diminutive moral victories.