• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

RC Race Track

docgj

Silver Member
I have a local RC Track wanting to build a drivers stand. This structure will be 6' to 8' high, 4' wide, and 35' to 40' in length. Is this a project that should be permited? I know at the very least I should be concerned about structural. What other things should I be looking for? Accessibility? We are using the 2009 ICC.

docgj

Re: RC Race Track

Is your question if it should be "permitted" or "allowed". It would need to be accessible. A disabled person would need to be able operate one of the RC cars in the same manner as a non disabled person.

"This structure will be 6' to 8' high, 4' wide, and 35' to 40' in length."

If it's in the Appilachian Mountain Range, and they serve RC Cola and Moon Pies; no permit required.

Otherwise, I would require an Engineered Design,; signed and sealed. 2009 IBC, 107.1

Uncle Bob

Coug Dad said:
Is your question if it should be "permitted" or "allowed". It would need to be accessible. A disabled person would need to be able operate one of the RC cars in the same manner as a non disabled person.
As I run the numbers, it's a level under 3000 s.f.

What code section would require it to be accessible?

Brudgers,

The exception in IBC (2006) 1104.4 refers to stories and mezzanines. This area would not be a story or a mezzanince. Is there another 3,000 square foot exception you are referencing?

Call it a press box.

Call it an observation gallery for safety purposes.

Etc.

For other facilities, I would almost certainly take a different approach, but Private Clubs are exempt from ADA.

The fact that "the ick" wants to enforce ADA within them is - as is the case with places of worship - bad public policy.

"The ick" is a private group striving to make accessibility requirements more burdensome than the democratic process of our great republic has deemed necessary.

In my opinion, it is grossly counter productive and one of the reasons that there continues to be such a backlash against accessibility among property owners, designers, and construction professionals.

"The ick's" approach creates conflict between accessibility and people's First Amendment rights to freely assemble (e.g. as in a private club) and worship (e.g. as in a church).

"The ick" seeks to use accessibility to deny normal safe constitutionally protected activities.

The effect is to allow local inspectors to over-rule Congress's judgment about what is reasonable in regards to accessibility as competing rights are balanced.

Unless the ADA Guidelines were adopted by the AHJ; I don't understand everyone refering the them. They are not enforceable by AHJs unless specifically adopted.

However, the enforcement of Chapter 1, 1102.1 Design. Buildings and facilities shall be designed and constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and ICC A117.1.; is not a "policy"; it's a code requirement.

Uncle Bob

The "building code" is the building code. ADA is civil rights legislation. There were accessibility requirements in the building codes long before congress and Bush 41 could spell ADA in 1990. The current Chapter 11 and ANSI requirements are just the evolution of accessibility requirements that have long been in the code. They may be in part a response to reflect the ADA, but they are still building code. While a church or private club may be exempt from ADA, they are not, nor should they be, exempt from the building code.

Shockingly, I completely agree with Brudgers philosphically. However, such sentiments really have no relevance in this thread, and should be reserved for the off-topic or even accessibility categories. The question is whether or not it's required by the code, and I think most agree that it is.

texasbo said:
Shockingly, I completely agree with Brudgers philosphically. However, such sentiments really have no relevance in this thread, and should be reserved for the off-topic or even accessibility categories. The question is whether or not it's required by the code, and I think most agree that it is.
The building code answer is calling it a press box or a raised area for security.

The only reason I am willing to construe it that way is because it falls outside the scope of ADA.

The reason I am motivated to construe it that way is because "the ick's" accessibility requirements are such horrible public policy.

I don't want people to mistake where I'm coming from (and I haven't had a good rant all week).

Uncle Bob said:
Unless the ADA Guidelines were adopted by the AHJ; I don't understand everyone refering the them. They are not enforceable by AHJs unless specifically adopted.However, the enforcement of Chapter 1, 1102.1 Design. Buildings and facilities shall be designed and constructed to be accessible in accordance with this code and ICC A117.1.; is not a "policy"; it's a code requirement.

Uncle Bob
The code is public policy.

The way in which departments enforce it is public policy as well.

Interpreting and enforcing the accessibility provisions of the IBC in a way that forces a private club to jump through unproductive and unnecessary hoops is not benefiting or protecting anyone.

A private club is perfectly free to conduct activities without facilitation for persons with disabilities, e.g. Mensa doesn't need to admit morons and Stephen Hawking can quit the Skydiving Club before he needs to pull the ripcord.

Enforcing the "the ick" in a way that makes poor public policy is a mistake, and using the building code accessibility provisions in ways that circumscribe the rights to free assembly and worship is such a mistake.

Sorry! I have been out of the office. Permited was to mean issuing a permit vs excempt. How would the observation gallery work?

docgj

Outside track. It is club, but will have some events for the public.

docgj

I just can't seem to convince Jeff to use auto-replace for it.

docgj said:
Outside track. It is club, but will have some events for the public.docgj
Pressbox.

Proper egress.

Proper structure.

And approve it.

BTW Coug, if it's outside, it meets the definition of "story" for the 3000 sf rule if they put any sort of roof over it.

Is it just me or does anyone else hear that incessant howling wind from the south?