• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

RC Race Track

Re: RC Race Track

There will not be a roof over it. Does this change anything?

docgj

I know and sun burnt when then sunshines.

There was some discussion about a 3000 sq. ft. exemption? Without a roof?

docgj

Coug Dad said:
If the deck is less than 3,000 square feet, it would probably not need to be accessible.
Particularly if it's a Track Safety Observation Gallery.

The tack this discussion has taken is somewhat disturbing in my opinion. Set aside the ADA vs. IBC discussion for a minute. Perhaps even set aside the desire to find any exception that might be bent to allow for not making this an accessible area (press box? really?)

How about taking a look at this from a what's the right thing to do? I happen to be into RC cars - and have plans to build a store and track in the future. There's no question I would make the driver's stands accessible. I might be in a wheel chair some day - and I need to be able to look down on the track, just like my opponents. If unique services are available to customers on another level - that level should be accessible.

Its all about equal access - and it's the right thing to do.

My participation on this board is to try and determine what is actually required by the code. Designers and owners are always free to provide features in excess of the minimums specified by the code. They have to determine what is the right thing for them. Code officials are charged with enforcing the code. Enforcing more than what is leagally required is not the right thing for them to do. I happen to believe that if a club had a disabled member, the other members would do what ever was needed to accomodate thier friend or peer. Carrying someone up to the platform or getting together to build a ramp. I have seen that in action in groups I belong to where we have been inclusive and not excluded persons based upon their disabilities. The building code cannot address all possible situations.