• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

RE: Airbnb for Multi family residence

Most folks would say they are both R-2's, no change.

I have always thought AirbnB's more closely resembled an R-1, transient, unfamiliar surroundings, but not many agree with me.

Never had to make a call on them, we don't have any program for them, so they just go about their business as an R-3.

If I were forced to make a call, I would say they are still an R-2, no change in occupancy. (Still think they are R-1's) :rolleyes:

Does the city this is in,,,, regulate Airbnb’s ???

In anyway, especially code wise

4 families
code doesn't have anything specific for airbnb.

Will if the city had no Rules on using a home for airbnb

Sounds like you do not have to worry about anything except smoke alarms placed properly

yes, for permit.
4 families
code doesn't have anything specific for airbnb.
Good for you trying to do the right thing! But seriously, you are only going to confuse the locals.

Most code officials, (me and steveray not included), will say Airbnb's are R-2's, so there is no change of use.

Or, they take a hard line, and decide it is an R-1, although they have no rules, and say you have to now have to sprinkler and alarm the 4-family dwelling.

Take the "no local rules" and hang your hat on it.

JMHO

When I change the multi family residence to an Airbnb does the occupancy use change?

So will you go from multi family

To set up for one person, one family, one group,,,, to rent it at a time???

Or set up for say two separate families to occupy at the same time, but separate areas???

If you get my drift

sounds like an attempt to not call it a motel, but it will be won't it? As such what kind of a business license will you obtain. Is the lot zoned for commercial use?