• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Re-roof permit

Sheathing/material inspection (material loaded at time of inspection...... we had a roof collapse when they loaded it with tile, permit showed comp.), core required if going over existing to verify number of layers.....

Contractor has to provide ladder for all inspections

final inspection when complete, usually don't go on roof if tiled due to possible breakage liability

jwilly3879 said:
NY Residential Enegry code requires the insulation to be checked if the sheathing is exposed and if required insulated above or below the sheathing. No one wants to do a tear off anymore.
What section is this?

TIA,

Tim

No re-roof permits for 1&2 family dwellings unless more than 10% of the sheathing needs replaced

Re-roof permits on all commercial. Include a roof plan showing existing equipment and a materials list identifing the roof classification. If adding more insulation an engineer may be needed to determine the roof snow load on older buildings. Some older building where designed to allow the heat to melt the snow thereby reducing the designed roof snow load an increase in insulation will increase the snow loading. The roof plan is required to determine if guards should be installed next to mechanical equipment since getting this done during a re-roof would be more cost effective then when a mechanical unit is changed out.

we allow 2 layers only, but what do you do when you have to do any repair on a roof with 2 layers ? would you allow them to repair or would you make them do a complete tear off ? homeowner had some wind damage that ripped off a section of shingles ( less than a 4x8 section ) homeowner would like a tear off but the insurance co. wants to repair ( imagine that ) I can't find anything in the IRC .

My AHJ is in the midst of a "roofers swarm" due to a recent hail (weather) event!

Baseball sized and larger hailstones were present!

We have had a departmental policy change to now require roofing permits. We do

not have the manpower to perform inspections, but DO register the various

contractors to get some sort of minimum compliance.

We have been perfoming random, "drive by", visual inspections (yes, ..I know!) on

the multiple neighborhoods where roofing activity is going on, ..pretty much AHJ

wide! We would not perform any type of actual "on-the-roof" inspections, because

of liability/insurance restraints.

If the roofing contractors do not have a permit card from our department, then we

stop in and have a chat with them.

Lots of shoddy workmanship, ..high pressure sales pitches, ..selling extras that

aren't needed to the masses. In at least one project; less than 2 weeks old,

the roof is already leaking after the roofing contractor has packed up and

moved on to the next victim.

Request To You All: In your circles of influence, ..please, ..please, ..please

inform every person that you come in to contact with; and will actually listen

to you, to research thoroughly, every single contractor that they potentially

want to hire for any type of project. In my experience, it is not just the roofers

that are preying on people!

One of the biggest issues that I see with re-roofing, especially when there is a tear off is the re-use of existing, damaged or incorrect flashing on sidewalls or chimneys. I always see on the job site the pre made flashing that is only about 3x3 or 2-1/2x2-1/2. This and whenever I see tar around a chimney in lieu of counter flashing.

Some times, in order to do a proper roof install, you have to remove the lower part of the siding which many contractors refuse to do. I personally did do that going back into the 80's when I first started doing re-roofs.

I recently inspected a roof where the owner was so proud that they had their roof redone. It was an old house that had gable vent at each end. But the roofer sold them on a ridge vent. It was not a bad job just not very good. Instead of re doing chimney flashing they cut strips of ice shield and stuck it on. In the attic I saw that they only cut one side of the ridge open so that about a 1/4 to half inch of air spacewas open. Since there was already gable vents the lower half of rafters and sheathing got no circulation and the wood was driping wet. Of couse the bath vent only made it to the top of insulation. The owner was not happy when I left.

Yikes!

Welcome to the forum, and major kudos to you for being a sawhorse at your first post!

Hopefully you will find this to be an incredibly worthwhile investment, as we have, please continue to share.