• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rebar cages

DamonB

I am looking through the 2018 IBC for codes related to rebar.
1. In a pier footing, how many inches is the rebar cage to be from the wall of the hole?
2. If the sizing is correct, is it permissible to put a round cage in a square hole? ( we used hydro vac instead of a drill, resulting in a square hole)

I tried the internet, but was unable to find these answers.

Please advise on where I can research this.

Here in S. Nevada, we fight with caliche often. The original drawing called for 6'6", we only got to 5 feet. Now, the footings are being redesigned. Originally, they said 'diameter'. However, we saw cut the asphalt in a square, the hydrovac company followed the square profile.

Where can I read up on these codes? I tried the ACI, but either cannot find it or I have to be a member.

Originally, they said 'diameter........we saw cut the asphalt in a square, the hydrovac company followed the square profile.
I wouldn't have an issue with the square hole and a round cage. But I don't count. Ask the local inspector.

The original drawing called for 6'6", we only got to 5 feet. Originally, they said 'diameter'. However, we saw cut the asphalt in a square,
A round hole is just a square hole with rounded corners. As long as the cage fits it shouldn’t be a problem.

The 18” too shallow is a different story. Caliche? Not as hard as rock, find a better driller.

As long as the square hole has 3" clearance to earth from rebar at all points and the square is equal to or greater than required it most likely will be fine. As others have said the depth is to shallow. But you did say the RDP is working on that.

Concrete cover and related issues are addressed in ACI-318. The engineer who designed the footing should have a copy.

I assume that an engineer was involved. Talk to the engineer.

The holes in the soil for piers are round.