• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rebar Size vs. Stirrup Count: What's Often Overlooked?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In concrete beam design, let's not forget that stirrups are as crucial as longitudinal rebar, especially for resisting shear forces. To the inspectors here: have you noticed more contractors cutting corners with the size or number of the longitudinal rebar or reducing the number of stirrups due to a misunderstanding of their importance?

Click on the image to expand it.
IMG_3765.JPG

How about we get back on topic as though there was no photo for the easy distraction posts? I should have made this post without a picture.

In concrete beam design, let's not forget that stirrups are as crucial as longitudinal rebar, especially for resisting shear forces. To the inspectors here: have you noticed more contractors cutting corners with the size or number of the longitudinal rebar or reducing the number of stirrups due to a misunderstanding of their importance?

Click on the image to expand it.
View attachment 12533
No

How about we get back on topic as though there was no photo for the easy distraction posts? I should have made this post without a picture.
Sorry Jar, my bad...
To the inspectors here: have you noticed more contractors cutting corners with the size or number of the longitudinal rebar or reducing the number of stirrups due to a misunderstanding of their importance?
To answer your question, no. Never seen it, not even a single time. But you asked a very specific question that pre-loads the condition of intent by the contractor. Have I seen undersized bar or insufficient reinforcement? Yes! All the time. But more often it was a simple mistake, short supply/delivery, error b/w shop drawings and engineering design, etc.

Assuming the shop drawings indicate the correct spacing and quantity of stirrups to contractors going to have some explaining to do if he has some of them left over. On the same basis, that shop is responsible for the correct sizes of Bars based on the shop drawings, not the contractor in most cases.