• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Receptacle for spa

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
Inspected a plug in spa today.

Spa has a large plug with a GFI built in. It looks like my pressure washer plug which I need to run in through the door into the house because it can't fit into a normal in use weatherproof receptacle cover. Would a special in use weatherproof cover be required for this. I am not sure if the code requires this since the receptacle does have a compliant cover, but it doesn't work right when the spa is plugged in. If required, what kind of in use weatherproof receptacle cover would this plug fit into?

Also, the receptacle for this spa is on the other side of an exterior door and they would need to run the cord in front of this door to plug it in. What section of the code can I use to fail this?

Not sure I understand the setup but NEC 2017 400.12 (3) may apply which would not permit the cord to be used through a doorway. If the cord is outside it could be considered a trip hazard? 400.12 (1) would not allow it to be a substitute for required fixed wiring.

406.9(B)
Receptacles of 15 and 20 Amperes in a Wet Location. Receptacles of 15 and 20 amperes, 125 and 250 volts installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.

The NEC says this about other receptacles: shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.

400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply cords shall not be used for the following:
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings.
(4) Where attached to building surfaces.

Last edited:
A cord running in front of a door isn't necessarily a hazard as long as there is a step at the door and the cord is kept tight to the wall.

I make special receptacles for such circumstances. They have a single outlet instead of multiples and the cover is larger so that the cover can be closed over the plug. We have a Hot Springs spa that requires this.

Reactions: ICE
So it seems like there are multiple products that have this kind of large plug with a GFI built in. Should we require a receptacle cover that will fit over these large plugs on all new exterior receptacles?