• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Redefining Public Perception: How Are Building Departments Transforming Their Image?

What has your building department done to change the general perception of building departments and to gain a more positive public perception? This question is at the heart of a significant transformation underway in the world of building code enforcement and administration. For years, building departments have often been viewed as bureaucratic obstacles, slow-moving, and mired in red tape. However, this image is rapidly changing as departments across the country adopt innovative strategies to improve their operations and public image. This article delves into these transformative efforts and the impact they are having on communities and the building industry.

Community Outreach and Education Programs

A key strategy in changing public perception has been the implementation of robust community outreach and education programs. By proactively educating the public about the importance of building codes for safety and community well-being, building departments demystify their work and foster a sense of collaboration. In Denver, Colorado, for instance, the local building department hosts regular workshops for homeowners and builders, explaining the permitting process and the rationale behind certain building codes.

Improving Customer Service

Recognizing that customer experience is crucial, many building departments have overhauled their customer service approach. From training staff in effective communication to setting up user-friendly information desks and hotlines, these efforts have been pivotal in changing public attitudes. A notable example is the online chat service introduced by the Miami-Dade Building Department, which allows residents to get quick answers to their queries.

Streamlining Processes

The digitization of permits and inspections has been a game-changer in many jurisdictions. By moving away from paper-based systems, departments like the one in Austin, Texas, have significantly reduced processing times and increased transparency. Online tracking systems where applicants can see the status of their permits or inspections in real time have also contributed to a more positive image.

Engaging with Stakeholders

Building departments have been actively engaging with builders, architects, and community groups to foster a collaborative environment. Regular town hall meetings, stakeholder feedback sessions, and advisory committees have been instrumental in this regard. Such initiatives not only improve processes but also ensure that the department's policies and practices are well-aligned with community needs and industry trends.

Transparency and Accountability

Transparency and accountability are vital in changing public perception. Many departments now publish annual reports detailing their activities, turnaround times, and compliance rates. Furthermore, holding public meetings to discuss changes in codes or procedures has helped in demystifying department operations.

Adopting Modern Building Practices

Proactively advocating for and adopting modern, sustainable building practices positions building departments as progressive and responsible entities. Departments like those in Seattle, Washington, are leading the way in promoting green building practices, thereby earning public respect and admiration.

Success Stories and Case Studies

Real-world examples like San Francisco’s streamlined permit process for small residential projects and Orlando’s award-winning customer service initiative serve as compelling success stories. These cases highlight the positive outcomes of these transformative efforts.

Challenges and Lessons Learned

Despite these successes, challenges such as budget constraints, staff shortages, and resistance to change remain. However, these obstacles offer valuable lessons in adaptability, resilience, and the importance of continuous improvement.

Future Directions

As building departments continue to evolve, the focus on technology, customer service, and community engagement will be critical in maintaining and enhancing public trust. The journey of transformation is ongoing, and the lessons learned by pioneering departments will serve as valuable blueprints for others seeking to reshape their public image. The ultimate goal is clear: to establish building departments not just as regulatory bodies but as vital, supportive pillars of community development and safety.

Around here the 3rd party inspection companies that are the most negligent in their plan reviews and inspections seem to have the most positive public perception. We have a high amount of senior building their own things and to me they seem very negative about digitization of anything or going online for anything.

Around here the 3rd party inspection companies that are the most negligent in their plan reviews
Interesting. As a designer, I wanted to know if plan review was the local building department or third party. Inevitably third party reviewers have more notes requiring correction or changes, and I liked to add a little to my stipulated sum fee. I just assumed they had to produce a lot of review comments to justify their fee.

We encourage pre-consultation meetings before submission of an application and plans. Generally like to do this at the DD phase of a project. I am also fortunate to have two contract inspectors for e Great Wolf Lodge construction project.

All of that.....The guy before me was a jerk, so that helps with our current perception...Still haven't gotten my office supply budget over $250 for the year and can't get the staff to where I believe we should be, no uniforms or safety gear in the budget, but I am sure if I keep struggling for the next 15 years i'll retire and it won't matter...

You are too jaded due to the systems located in the bubble your worked inside.
I have had contractors ask me to stop by their job because they weren't convinced that the inspector knew anything. It's got to be pretty bad when a contractor asks me to show up.

A city of 50K people with 15K houses, five major shopping centers, square miles of factory and industrial, a private university with ninety-five acres of campus and 4000 students was replacing the retiring inspector....the only inspector in the frugal town.

The city administration had dozens of seasoned County inspectors to choose from. They chose a a brand new, completely lost inspector that had just one ICC cert as a residential electrical inspector. The city was told that their choice was too green for the city and to pick again. The city planning director stated that "He can learn it as he goes". The planning director wanted that inspector because he could exert complete control over that inspector. The planning director got what he wanted. According to several contractors the inspector is a slow learner.