• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reducing the Number of Exits

BillS

The commentary in IEBC 705.3 (2009) states that "the IBC and IFC make it unlawful to reduce the number of exits in a building." Where is this stated in the IBC and IFC?

Thanks

Bill

2012 IBC & IFC

1001.2 Minimum requirements.

It shall be unlawful to alter a building or structure in a manner that will reduce the number of exits or the capacity of the means of egress to less than required by this code

1005.4 Continuity.

The capacity of the means of egress required from any story of a building shall not be reduced along the path of egress travel until arrival at the public way.

I ask the question because the commentary states that it's "unlawful to reduce the number of exits," but when you go to IBC 1001.2 (2009) it adds the qualifier "to less than required by this code." Those are two different statements.

I'm an architect, and and I've had plan reviewers tell me that I can't ever remove an existing exit from a building, even if it was a third exit from a space where you only needed two by code. Seems to me that if the code only requires two than I should be able to delete the extraneous one.

BillS said:
I ask the question because the commentary states that it's "unlawful to reduce the number of exits," but when you go to IBC 1001.2 (2009) it adds the qualifier "to less than required by this code." Those are two different statements.I'm an architect, and and I've had plan reviewers tell me that I can't ever remove an existing exit from a building, even if it was a third exit from a space where you only needed two by code. Seems to me that if the code only requires two than I should be able to delete the extraneous one.
Agree with you

As long as it works out on paper

I ask because plans examiners that I have dealt with do treat the commentary as having the same authority as the code itself, so I need to be knowledgeable not only about what the code says but also what the commentaries say. I understand that right in the Preface it states that the commentary is advisory only, but that not how it's being used sometimes.

705.3 Number of exits. The number of exits shall be in accordance with Sections 705.3.1 through 705.3.3.

705.3.1 Minimum number. Every story utilized for human occupancy on which there is a work area that includes exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant within the work area shall be provided with the minimum number of exits based on the occupancy and the occupant load in accordance with the International Building Code. In addition, the exits shall comply with Sections 705.3.1.1 and 705.3.1.2.

Must comply with IBC....problem solved, meet current code

BillS said:
I ask because plans examiners that I have dealt with do treat the commentary as having the same authority as the code itself, so I need to be knowledgeable not only about what the code says but also what the commentaries say. I understand that right in the Preface it states that the commentary is advisory only, but that not how it's being used sometimes.
So ask plan reviewer if the building was built brand new, like I submitted it to you with the reduced exits, would it be approved, or would you require me to add another DOOR, even though iut is not required???

Come on use the brain God gave you!!! to do plan review.

Must be some of the same departments that tore down the treehouse::

http://www.digital-resource.com/popular/news-urandir-knock-on-wood-pa-town-forcing-teen-to-tear-down-treehouse-digital-resource.html

and it looks better put together than some projects professionals do!!

Even the IEBC allows you to change the number of exits

805.3 Number of exits.

The number of exits shall be in accordance with Sections 805.3.1 through 805.3.3.

805.3.1 Minimum number.

Every story utilized for human occupancy on which there is a work area that includes exits or corridors shared by more than one tenant within the work area shall be provided with the minimum number of exits based on the occupancy and the occupant load in accordance with the International Building Code. In addition, the exits shall comply with Sections 805.3.1.1 and 805.3.1.2.

Unless the jurisdiction has adopted the Commentary as an additional local regulation it is not binding.

Truthfully it is often inaccurate and dated anyway.

Intended only to clarify intent not to enumerate requirements.

Thanks for all of the thoughts... glad to hear that I am thinking about it correctly, now to try to convince others!