1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Reelection to the ICC Board of Directors

Discussion in 'Talk to the ICC Board' started by jpranch, Aug 28, 2018.

1. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

cda, call membership services. 1-888-422-7233

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

I may not be a voting member, but someone in my city is

But will call

3. CodeWarrior

CodeWarrior Registered User

Ok JP,

You asked for a challenge. What is your position on the code voting process? Are you satisfied with the possibility that the ICC codes can be revised with a handful votes even with cdp access?

Surely the board has discussed this. Most standards these days go through a consensus process. The A117.1 is a consensus code. Why not do more like that?

Inspector Gift likes this.
  4. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. Surgery on the right knee last Monday. Just now starting to feel a bit human. I would strongly disagree with the idea that the I-Codes are not a consensus code or standard. Quite the opposite. Without question ICC has the most open, transparent, and welcoming code development process hands down. Anybody can participate at no cost. Others cannot make a claim such as this. As far as the number of people voting I don’t think I’ll ever be truly satisfied with the numbers. CDP Access is the absolute first of its kind among SDO’S. We were the first to employ a technology specifically designed to be more inclusive and make access possible from pretty much anywhere in the world. That is anywhere where there is internet. Even with that I certainly wish the numbers were higher. If you look at CP-28 you will see the board established minimum numbers for any given vote. We are well aware of the very low numbers of the past in the late night hours of code hearings that last way to long. One only has to look at the energy code hearings. (Or not) What’s the old saying? You can lead a horse to water? So what is the answer??? I believe in part it is the next generation and beyond. I don’t think these young people today are as interested in sitting in a convention center (barn) for two weeks as much as they might desire to do it all online. We need to be investing heavily in the next generation and engaging them. CDP Access is also growing with states either already using it for their statewide code adoptions or considering it for that use. Most recently the state of Washington is looking to use it for their code adoptions. The thought is that it makes it easier and more accessible for their citizens to participate in the process just like at the national level. So perhaps this will help as well. Anyway, there is my 2 cents and I hope I addressed your questions.

5. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

cda, I believe the quantity of voters are based off your city's pop. You may find there's some open slots not being used.

You should check to see if there's a slot open and join the party.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

Will do

7. conarb

conarb Registered User

Jim:

Can you tell us a little about the energy code hearings?

8. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

Conarb, it has been my experience that, that particular code takes a long, long, long, etc... time to get through at the code hearings. I have set through the whole thing in the past. Here is where it gets dangerous for me but I have to say it straight, don’t know any other way so here I go with the softball version. The U.S. department of energy in my humble opinion has way to much to say about the content. I would also say that there should be another federal department more involved. That would be the Consumer Product Safety Commission. (CPSC) Someone correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it the CPSC set the standards for energy efficiency for consumer appliances. Here is one part that I still do not understand? Why in the hell are there still low efficiency furnaces, air conditioners, refrigerators, and other appliances as well as electronic energy pigs like flat screen TV’S on the market? Hells bells! 90 percent plus furnaces have been available for how many years / decades? FYI, Wyoming dose not and will not in the near future adopt a state wide energy code. It’s up to the local jurisdictions. Here in Gillette we have a local energy code based on the 2006 IECC. That will not change for a least the next 3 to 4 years. conarb, I sense that you have a few specific questions? I have never know you to be shy so let’er buck.

9. conarb

conarb Registered User

Jim:

My concern is the influence of any government agencies on the ICC, the federal government has no constitutional right to tell me or anyone else how much energy we can consume, the ICC is an NGO and is supposed to be independent of the federal government, how many other government agencies are influencing codes? How far are they influencing, as far as demanding specfic agenda? So long as only government employees can vote aren't we always going to have government codes?

Has any acknowledgement been made to the fact that an administration has been elected with the promise to reduce rules and regulations? is there any movement within the ICC to reduce codes?

JCraver and Inspector Gift like this.
  10. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

All NGO’s or SDO’s are impacted by the federal government without exception. Example? Just look at healthcare and NFPA- 101? If you look at the 2018 I-Codes you will see reductions in the cost of construction across the board and I’m not talking that crap about over the life of the building what ever that really means. I’m talking up front before you ever stick a shovel in the ground savings. This is especially true for the INC and IRC. I will say that any organization has to be very careful dealing with the fed’s but one must also realize that you cannot and should not discount them. It is unavoidable. So that leaves you with managing it. Just the reality or nature of the beast. I think for the purposes of the discussion here I will steer clear of constitutional rights and just stick with the codes and content.

JCraver likes this.
  11. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

IBC and IRC! Darn it! Sorry for the typo.

12. tmurray

tmurray Registered User

Are these two statements not mutually exclusive? How can the organization be independent of the government, yet tied to election platform of who gets elected?

I'm assuming ICC is making energy codes with the US Dept of Energy pointing a gun at its head saying if you don't we will. I would think you would be happy with the approach ICC is taking to energy codes vs. what the feds would do. ADA anyone?

jpranch likes this.
  13. conarb

conarb Registered User

Jim:

It's good to hear that the latest codes are reducing costs, tell us what actually happens, do the Feds actually come into hearings and demand their agenda? Do you fight back? How can we as citizens fight back on code issues? It's become apparent that no matter who we elect the same "Deep State" government employees stay in from administration to administration, I'd like to be able to fire every government employee with every change in administration but since FDR that's impossible, what can we do to effect change? I'd like to get codes back to minimum health and safety standards and away from taking people's freedoms away.

14. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

tmurray is on target. The fed's will say right in the hearing room that if this does not go the way we want it to then we will not "certify" the latest edition of the IECC. By certify it is my understanding that they mean that the latest edition is more energy efficient than the previous edition. The best way to bring about change is to engage in the code development process. The place to start is to know the process or as I like to call it "The Rules of Engagement". That would be CP-28. Here is the link: https://www.iccsafe.org/icc-bylaws-and-council-policies/

15. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Even us inspectors that work for the government?
    For government jobs how would they get anyone with experience?
    Don't forget the military are government employees.
    No one would want to work knowing they would be fired in a few years.

Would the government need to hire new people that do the hiring every 4 years?
    The government would run out of citizens as new employees in a few administrations.
    There were 21,995,000 employed by federal, state and local government in the United States
    the federal government now employs 2,711,000people (excluding non-civilian military).

16. conarb

conarb Registered User

Jim:

As you know it's my position that it's none of the government's business how much energy a citizen consumes, some drive Lamborghinis and others Priim (or Priuses), when the government starts telling us what we can or cannot drive it's tyranny and time to dissolve these 50 states.

As to the IECC why can't the ICC tell the feds to stuff it, the ICC mission is to create codes for minimum health and safety standards, if the Feds want to control every aspect of people's lives to write their own damn energy codes?

I read an interesting article the other day entitled "Sanctamania".

This picture says it all, we have people like her in government pushing their disability, energy, or other personal agenda, it's time we fight back.

[​IMG]
    The mirror is an inch too high, what about all the starving African villages?

¹ https://internationalman.com/articles/sanctimania/

17. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

conarb,

I think we sent that nut job packin! she's spending time lecturing for a college in the Mountain time zone now. Check with Gonzaga, I think she found safe haven there.

Poor college student just trying to do an interview and then she yells "I need some muscle over here!"

18. tmurray

tmurray Registered User

Just think about the costs for the firing and hiring process alone. Let alone the challenges for re training an entire workforce every 4 years... This is an HR nightmare.

19. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Right.

To his point though - Be honest with yourselves, and I bet every one of you could ID at least 1 job in your own jurisdiction that doesn't need to be there. Multiply that by every other jurisdiction plus the state's and the fed and it isn't too far-fetched to say that we need to get rid of at least half the current number. "We" waste an insane amount of money on jobs that have no reason to exist.

Sorry for the hijack, Mr. Brown - back to your thread now. :)

20. conarb

conarb Registered User

What do we do when we have a government loaded with corruption? WIth a change in administration I intended to take our ADA forum to the new Justice Department showing them that the regulatons are so bad, and/or badly written, that we need all new regulations, come to find out the Justice Department is loaded with corruption from career employees. it's not just me, I had a neighbor who had been a career FBI employee, he was beside himself when Comey ticked off Hilarys' crimes then refused to prosecute, he was so upset he died a couple of years ago, 8 years younger than I, he was distraught that his whole life's work was impuned by corruption at the top of the Justice Department. I don't know how any of you guys can even work for the government, I've known two inspectors quit rather than put up with what codes are requiring,