• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Regarding building code for apartments built in 1985

I have a 1979 UBC. Draftstopping under that code is different than today. Under the old code attics just had to be divided to areas not greater than 1000 square feet, but unlike today's code, there is no mention of multiple units being under the same 1000 sq feet portion.
I'd be more worried about all these attic accesses in general. In a multifamily building you really don't have any reason to give each unit an access, especially if its to the same draftstopped area as another. I'd recommend the minimum amount of accesses and then be sure they are rated the same as the (likely rated) ceiling membrane. Self closing devices. Etc. Attic accesses are notorious locations for fire breach. Keep the tenants out of there.

Was it building code in 1985 for a commercial apartment that was built in 1985 to have the following two things:

1. Firewalls from attic floor to attic roof for walk in attics?
2. Functional bathroom ventilation that vents air from bathroom to either attic or outside if no window present?

Sorry for the time lag,

So finally dug up what I was looking for.

I want to say May of 1982 San Antonio was under the 1979 UBC'

The next adopted code was the 1985 UBC,, adopted not sure maybe 90 or earlier?

Common attics are a major source of fire spread in apartrnent fires. Major risk management consideration to separate tenant attics, may reduce fire insurance rate.