• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reinforced (non-FEMA Tornado) room door hardware

aaron@rollingsarchitects.

We designed a 10 stall bathroom as a tornado shelter. Extra studs, stand alone structure, cmu drystack in the walls, extra sheathing, etc. Our issue is the door. The door itself is metal reinforced, heavy gauge, with push-pull hardware. To secure the door in case of a tornado there are three deadbolts. The deadbolts have thumbscrews on both sides, so if the people inside cannot operate it, it can be opened from outside. Our local authority is saying the door needs to be operable per 2015 1010.1.9.5. "The unlatching of any door or leaf shall not require more than one operation." He is not allowing us to have the three deadbolts. We have reinforced hardware that will comply with code but they will not work with the push pull operation wanted by the owner. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can work around this?

Thanks
AAron

We designed a 10 stall bathroom as a tornado shelter. Extra studs, stand alone structure, cmu drystack in the walls, extra sheathing, etc. Our issue is the door. The door itself is metal reinforced, heavy gauge, with push-pull hardware. To secure the door in case of a tornado there are three deadbolts. The deadbolts have thumbscrews on both sides, so if the people inside cannot operate it, it can be opened from outside. Our local authority is saying the door needs to be operable per 2015 1010.1.9.5. "The unlatching of any door or leaf shall not require more than one operation." He is not allowing us to have the three deadbolts. We have reinforced hardware that will comply with code but they will not work with the push pull operation wanted by the owner. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can work around this?

Thanks
AAron

Hi Aaron -

I spoke with one of my coworkers who has a lot of experience with windstorm doors and hardware. His advice:
  • The AHJ was correct to flag the 3 deadbolts...this is a setup for a FEMA 320 door, which is residential in nature. These doors would typically have latching hardware in additional to the deadbolts.
  • A vestibule with push/pull door and the storm door held open is the best option. But that probably isn’t realistic at this point.
  • Securitech makes a push/pull setup with single action throw. It basically dogs all the bolts until you throw it.
  • Another option, if the door swings out and isn’t fire rated, is panic hardware that can be dogged for a push/pull function. This may or may not be an option depending on whether the opening needs to meet ICC 500.
  • Windstorm door/frame/hardware assemblies are tested as a unit. The new lock prep for the door and frame will be different. They will likely have to swap frames to get the new hardware.
I hope this helps!
- Lori

Hi Aaron -

I spoke with one of my coworkers who has a lot of experience with windstorm doors and hardware. His advice:
  • The AHJ was correct to flag the 3 deadbolts...this is a setup for a FEMA 320 door, which is residential in nature. These doors would typically have latching hardware in additional to the deadbolts.
  • A vestibule with push/pull door and the storm door held open is the best option. But that probably isn’t realistic at this point.
  • Securitech makes a push/pull setup with single action throw. It basically dogs all the bolts until you throw it.
  • Another option, if the door swings out and isn’t fire rated, is panic hardware that can be dogged for a push/pull function. This may or may not be an option depending on whether the opening needs to meet ICC 500.
  • Windstorm door/frame/hardware assemblies are tested as a unit. The new lock prep for the door and frame will be different. They will likely have to swap frames to get the new hardware.
I hope this helps!
- Lori
Thank you Lori. We agree the AHJ is correct but we like the low tech low cost option. Looks like we will have to look into the Securitech option. Thank you for the input.