• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Relocate gas pipe to neighbour? Tankless water heaters need fire rated wall enclosure?

Giginw

Hi all,

My house is semi-attached to my neighbour. The main pipe from the street goes to me first, then go through the shared wall to my neighbour. We each have a meter but main on/off valve is on my side.

I think main water pipe is the other way around. It probably goes to the neighbour first then to me. That's why I couldn't find the water meter. When there's a flood in my neighbour's basement maybe due to sewer backup, he asked me to pay for his renovation.

The main gas pipes is exposed but no leakage when I purchased the house. In order to keep it SAFE and hassle free in the future, I'm planning on getting rid of gas completely. Should I pay for my neighbour's relocating fee? The gas manhole is actually closer to my neighbour than to me.

I want to use ductless mini split units for heating and cooling. two induction cooktops for cooking and two electric tankless water heaters for hot water.

My architect told me the water heater units need to be enclosed with fire rated wall, even though it's tankless. I couldn't find the code. Could anyone help?

If it's required to have an enclosed space, is it possible to put a toilet in so it's not completed wasted?

Thank you!

Gigi

Tell the gas utility company that you want to get disconnected and let them worry about feeding your neighbor.
Electric tankless water heaters do not need a fire rated wall unless the manufactures installation guide says you do.