• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Renovating restrooms for access, reduce fixture counts.

Fort

Silver Member
In order to remodel a multi-stall restroom to make it accessible, it is very common that the solution requires removing at least one toilet, and often a lavatory as well, in order to create enough space for the accessible toilet stall.

So this is in conflict with the plumbing code required minimum number of fixtures. I am in CA, so I refer to CPC 422.0 Minimum Number of Required Fixtures.

Say I am remodeling restrooms that serve an auditorium. The women's currently has 6 toilets and 4 lavs. If I calc'ed it out per today's code it would comply with minimums, just exactly.

But in order to make that restroom accessible I have to pull out 1 toilet and 2 lavs, leaving the restroom short. Technically I could enlarge the restroom, but that would be quite an insane cost burden and would have a dramatic impact on multiple adjacent spaces.

So, how do you address this situation?

I'd love to hear other's weigh in, but my experience is you have to comply with both, thereby taking square footage from somewhere else to accommodate a larger toilet space or new toilet room.

I might be able to entertain maintaining the required fixture count from the time the building was constructed, not necessarily todays number...

No fines for not compiling to the CPC
In the best of all worlds yes comply with both but you need to coply with accessibility.