• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Repair/Add To Existing Pad Footers

russ.stevenson

Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. I am new to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I have a 24'x36' one story, 1940's brick veneer house in Nashville. Bearing wall runs down the middle of the 36' length. 3 concrete block piers support the triple 2x10 beam. The piers are way off center of the pad footers and hang over the footer by 2 or3 inches. Amazingly, the tops of the 3 piers are all the same and seem to have not moved in the last 80 years. And the block are plumb and level. The footer are only 2 or 3 inches thick and not thick enough to drill into for adding rebar.

I need to add a post to the center pier for a new load bearing beam 8' up from the finish floor and the old footer will not support the load. I have pondered this for a few days now and I have come to the conclusion that I need to remove the old footer and start over - unless you good people can enlighten me on a way to reinforce the existing footers. Is there a way to save and add onto the old footers? Or should I tear it out and start over?

I have photos, but cant figure out how to attach them to my thread.

Thanks Very Much,
Russell

Welcome

The easiest way to post, is become a Forum supporting Sawhorse.

Otherwise beyond my computer knowledge

You have to make the picture a link and post the link

or a Flickr type Or similar and post

Not into structural

Can leave what is there and add new??

Maybe a few dollars to a residential structural person might be the way to go

Thanks for the replies.

I shall become a Forum supporting Sawhorse.

I can't find a structural person. If anyone on the forum knows a structural person in Nashville, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation.

I realize my post is ambiguous, but it's difficult to explain in writing. My latest thought is to remove the old footer and block and form and pour a new 24"x24"x10" footer and use a 6x6 wooden post up two the crawlspace beam and then up to the second, new beam. I kinda hate to destroy what is there, but...

The ground where I am is rock with a little dirt on top. The footer is poured atop existing rock.

Thanks Again,
Russell

Attached is a pic.

Can this be saved?

Note the rock underneath. Rock like that it is everywhere.

Many Thanks,
Russell

Attachments

• IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
Hum not into structural

But does not appear good from initial install.

Is that normal for the time houses were built ?

You might contact the building Dept, sometimes they will give you a list of structural

Thanks for the replies.

I shall become a Forum supporting Sawhorse.

I can't find a structural person. If anyone on the forum knows a structural person in Nashville, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation.

I realize my post is ambiguous, but it's difficult to explain in writing. My latest thought is to remove the old footer and block and form and pour a new 24"x24"x10" footer and use a 6x6 wooden post up two the crawlspace beam and then up to the second, new beam. I kinda hate to destroy what is there, but...

The ground where I am is rock with a little dirt on top. The footer is poured atop existing rock.

Thanks Again,
Russell

Yea two more sawhorse sign ups,,,, and I get a toaster

LOL to the toaster. Glad I could help.

I know what I am gonna do. I'd rather not take out the old, so I am going to add to the existing with a 1x6x24"x30" form around the block and rebar through the side of the block and then down and into the old footer.and try to get some rebar into the bedrock. And then pour concrete 5-1/2" up onto the block.

There are civil or structural engineers in Nashville. Smaller offices are more likely to be interested in this project.

The engineer will need to understand what is the real problem and what needs to be changed. The engineer will then help you decide what really needs to be done.

If this has been there for 80 years what has changed and why?

From your description the existing framing seems funky but why do you feel the need to change it now?

I am not convinced that your solution will be effective. There are likely easier solutions. If you are on real rock you do not need a footing to transfer the loads to the rock.

Thanks, Mark K. I don't like the way the block hangs over the edge of the footer. I am adding an LVL beam at ceiling height and I want to put a 2x6 wall on top of the LVL and run it up to the ridge. Then I'd like to vault the open portion. I'm thinking that center pier is going to take on a heavier load and hence my wanting to beef it up.

615 Westboro A 5.2.jpg

~ @ ~ @ ~

russ.stevenson,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum, and THANK YOU
for becoming a valued Sawhorse........This is
THE BEST

construction codes Forum on the internet, ...bar none !

Because your application and subsequent questions
are outside the prescriptive Residential codes, ...you will
need to employ a structural engineer to design you something
specific to your application and location..........There are
too many variables for anyone on this Forum to be able
to provide you a specific, Code compliant, safe design.

As
** Mark K ** has recommended above, please begin

your "due diligence" search in and around the Nashville
area.

Also, ...please come back and let us know the results of
your efforts.

Thanks ! :)

@ ~ @ ~ @

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, so glad you stepped up to help support it, as north star said, the best code forum there is. I took the liberty of searching the BBB using foundation structural engineer as the keywords, and got some good hits it appears. Find one close to you, make some calls.

Also, do call the building department and ask, they will usually (I do, and I know others that do the same) give you three or four, so they don't appear to be doing favorites. Also ask in the form of, "whom do you see submitting this type of engineering on a regular basis?", that way again, they are not playing favorites, just stating facts as to who is submitting this type of engineered solutions.

So glad you have joined us, keep in touch, and good luck!

1609048765260.png