• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Replacement window permitting

Just take a look at all the inadequate flashing and anchorage work that is discussed on this forum

IF you require a permit and RI does and has since 2002 IRC adoption you BETTER conduct a thorough inspection

Best if PRIOR to concealment caus that is where most inadequate work occurs

Companies sell these replacement windows based on the sales pitch that

"With our windows you willo never fill your Oil Tank again"!

so all those open gaps should be filled and the windows should stay in place when the wind blows

Most places (here included) allow size for size replacements (I don't like it.. but the committees never care what I like.. darn them).. I agree a permit should be required.. flashing is really rarely an issue with replacement windows (unless they change the opening size). IF you issue a permit, you're actually kind of committing to do a final inspection. If you don't, you'll end up with a bunch of expired permits to explain .. AND what purpose of requiring a permit if you don't inspect?

NH09 -

#1 & #2 are close to my requirements. Your #3 does not follow what I do. I require inspections. I have a lot of old homes here where the original window sizes are nowhere near compliant for EERO. I have shown up for an inspection and found these windows filled in because the happy DIY homeowner got a 'deal' on some odd size windows at the local hardware store. :banghd

Cost for the permit here is $35.00.

Mule said:
We've encountered the same thing and I agree with you that placing the property as a violation is extensive. We run occasional reports indicating which permits are hanging out there without inspections. We usually do this during the slower times, like now.... We will go by and verify the job is complete and make a notation on the property records that the construction has been completed without the benefit of a final inspection.
Mule -

I've done this also. I have a lot of folks (homeowners) who just never call for even a final on permits.