• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Replacing Exterior Wall on a 6 Story Building

It stops, but to me, you have to treat the joint, or what is the point...I think they missed a bunch of stuff when the brought in the horizontal assemblies piece. Like if it is rated like a fire barrier, treat it like a fire barrier, if a fire partition, treat it as such...
I see you point. Thank you...

I see you point. Thank you...
I reviewed 715.4 Exterior curtain wall/floor interstions. The code commentary states "Most fire-rated horizontal assembles are required to extend from outside wall to outside wall, that is from the inside faces of the exterior walls."....

This is all I can find. Now I am comfortable with my detail.

Thanks again. This was a big help bouncing this detail off everyone...

How do you figure that it is a 3-hour rated floor assembly? The detail indicates it is 3 inches of concrete on a metal deck.

In order to get a 3-hour rating, the concrete would need to be at least 4.4 inches (at its thinnest location) using lightweight concrete. If using standard concrete, the thickness would need to be somewhere between 5.7 and 6.6 inches.

The most it could be is 1-hour, and if they used composite decking, then it would have no rating if the deck was not protected by fireproofing.

What is the recorded construction type of the building at the time it was built? Under the IBC, the construction type would need to be Type IB, which allows unlimited area and 12 stories for Group R-2.

Regarding the application of the IEBC, I would forgo using the work area compliance method and use the prescriptive compliance method per Section 503. The prescriptive compliance method is mostly focused on structural matters, and Section 503.1 allows you almost great latitude working with the new construction, provided that you do not make the building less compliant than it was prior to the alteration. Of course, all new construction must comply with the current code.

As for the exterior walls, non-combustible materials would definitely be required. The building does not comply with Type IIB or IIA for height (not sure where the building is area-wise since you did not provide that information), nor does it appear to comply with Type IB construction, which requires 2-hour floor construction and 2-hour construction for most other building elements. Thus, I would consider the building Type IIA (1-hour construction throughout) for all other code matters, which means you cannot add stories or increase the floor area since that would make the building less compliant than it was prior to the alteration.

Using Type IIA construction, 1-hour exterior walls would be required if the fire separation distance was less than 30 feet. If the fire separation distance is greater than 10 feet, then the walls need only have the rating for an interior exposure.
Ron,

Going back to your assumption of the 1 hour rating based on concrete thickness. Are you basing it on 3" of concrete minus 9/16" decking with a concrete thickness of 2 7/16"?