• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Replacing PayPal Consideration

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I am looking at replacing Paypal even though it is convenient for me, albeit expensive. Many people prefer not to use it but I don't know if those that don't like to use it would instead use another payment system. I only have a few choices which are:

Braintree
Stripe
2CheckOut

That is it. I know that changing will cause a problem with existing accounts and we may lose a lot of supporters as a result but I need to know the extent of the loss we have because we have Paypal. Gone are the days of sending a check which is cumbersome, requires all manual input and slow. I wish I could use Zelle which is used by most major banks but that is not an option with the Xenforo platform we use.

Basically I am just looking for some discussion at this point. I still have people, over 4 years later using the old system payment and not stopping it like I have been asking for the past 4 years through emails and posts. This has been the problem for us, those on the old PayPal system that I can't do anything about.

Therefore, once again, if you are paying the $35 or $60 fee, you are under the old system and when PayPal receives the money and uses the old connection link, it does not work, then after we get a few of those, PayPal faults our account and stops sending the updates to the forum, therefore, even those that are legit under the new system, don't get processed. This has been going on for over 4 years and my hands are tied. All of these faults that I keep clearing on PayPal then have to be manually input into the system in order to have those that did listen and update entered. If this sounds confusing, it is. Thoughts?

We use Stripe for our permit software....Staff says a little harder to balance monthly but generally good....But we do around 400 permits a month...

We use Stripe for our permit software....Staff says a little harder to balance monthly but generally good....But we do around 400 permits a month...
I looked at all of them and Stripe was my choice so far. I am glad to see they have their act together enough to have government business.

Whatever works best for you and the system.

My suggestion is either have a dedicated thread or dedicated tab or something to join or renew.

That way everyone goes to the same place.
You don’t have to dig into your profile to pay…

Easier to send new people to one place.

What is the benefit of having something integrated with the forum? Can't you just un-integrate PP from the workings of the site if it's causing issues? All we need is a place/device to send money from me to you, no? PP (or Venmo), Square (or CashApp), Stripe, Clover, or any of the sites you mention would all work I'd think.

What is the benefit of having something integrated with the forum? Can't you just un-integrate PP from the workings of the site if it's causing issues? All we need is a place/device to send money from me to you, no? PP (or Venmo), Square (or CashApp), Stripe, Clover, or any of the sites you mention would all work I'd think.

I am guessing since embedded,, it updates your status automatically

Versus pay on one site,,, Than having to go update the forum

We may have that or something similar with Stripe which even takes apple pay. I have to really look at it all. Right now it is still simple where you go to your profile and upgrade your subscription which takes you to Paypal. All CC processing takes you to another site.

I have always found PayPal annoying to use, but a lot of that appears to be centered around the fact that I'm in Canada.

I will figure out what I need to do if you change.

I don't know much about these payment apps but I know even messenger lets you sent money. that how I send to the daughter for the grandkids. So what ever you decide I'll make work!

I've not had an issue with PP, but I can switch to whatever method you choose to use.
That's actually my thought too. Although actually PayPal seems to be very convenient and easy and almost everyone uses it. I haven't ever used any of the other ones he mentioned.

That's actually my thought too. Although actually PayPal seems to be very convenient and easy and almost everyone uses it. I haven't ever used any of the other ones he mentioned.
I’m going to see if we can add options versus only having one so I may keep PayPal and add something else.

Jar,

I use both Stripe and Square

I prefer the square system over stripe but both work well.

Square is much simpler to use for sending out invoices and annual recurring invoices than stripe is.

however, stripe is simpler to integrate into a website for automated sales and or probably a forum than square is, though I know more than a few that use square for their websites and find it vastly simpler for billing and recurring billing.

Square also allows the invoices to be text messaged as part of the system.

They follow the link and pay the bill.