1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Reroofing

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by alaskajoe, Aug 16, 2019.

1. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

If the mfgr is completely silent on the issue, you could but why not do it right? If the mfgr says either “not recommended” or “not allowed” ... and you do it anyway ... kiss the warranty goodbye.

Something i kept in mind when i did projects for customers: the quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

ADAguy likes this.
  2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Recommending has no authority. Nearly every roofing material warranty covers the product and only the product. The manufacturer does not concern itself with what people do with the product beyond installation instructions. You can do everything right or everything wrong and the warranty is still in force. The only thing that a warranty can cover with a metal roof is the paint. As long as the paint stays on, there's no warranty claim.

#22 ICE, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  3. edseven

edseven Registered User

I'm just trying to find out two things. Does all of the code apply to the roof if recover is allowed? Does it should need proper flashing and I&W shield?

The mfg does not reconmend installing standing seam over shingles. The code allows it. The mfg is more strict. Does it overrule the code?

4. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Do you want a warranty or not? Code compliance is not a warranty of durability.

5. edseven

edseven Registered User

What is your point?

6. edseven

edseven Registered User

Can you use cement board screws for hidden fastener clips?

7. MindalBoom

MindalBoom Registered User

Good contractors have a good guarantee, not only for paint, but it’s an exaggeration. When I turned to metal roofing in Toronto during a conversation they explained to me that the guarantee depends on the parameters of my roof, under what conditions there is a house, and received an answer that completely satisfied me, I can’t say how much, but this is more than others suggested.

8. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Follow the metal roofing system manufactures instalation instructions.
    Some will allow it some, based on condition of shingles below some manufacturers do not recommend it, smooth substrate. it is also harder to deal with roof penitrations and attic ventilation.

Fire departments have told me they hate metal roofing system because if the fire is burning below the metal roofing systems act like a frying pan, heating up, but preventing the water from getting to the fire. They are also very slippery even when not wet.

9. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Points well made, but they do have their place and last for decades.