• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Resealing & Relining Parking Lots with Accessible Parking Spaces

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Accessible spaces are required where parking facilities are altered or added. The term ‘alterations’ includes resurfacing of vehicular ways. Resurfacing or resealing and projects that add new parking spaces constitute alterations (or additions) and must include accessible spaces as required in the scoping table. Normal maintenance, such as pothole repair, surface patching, or repainting in place existing striping for a few spaces, is not considered an alteration except where it affects a facility’s usability.

Do you issue permits for resealing/resurfacing and relining parking lots?

You did not cite a code reference. Here is California we have this exception in CBC 11-202.4 exc. #5.

1693943164752.png

202.3 also scopes accessibility for alterations of "elements or spaces", and 202 further defines "elements" as:
"An architectural or mechanical component of a building, facility, space or site."

Both PA and FL have accessibility codes, so permits are issued. I assume CT does not and relies on the ADA?
We use ANSI 117

[A] 105.2 Work Exempt From Permit

Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances of the jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

We get a permit for at grade paving that is part of an accessible route.....We don't get a permit for painting....

Exemption #6 Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade, not requiring guards, and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.

I advised here in MA not permit is required hover if you are restriping you need to comply with AAB and ADA

Resurfacing gets a permit from public works to assure the storm water drainage is brought up to current standards. Accessible parking and striping is included in the permit and review process.

ANSI does not require permits here...just the building code...resealing we would call painting, resurfacing or mill and repave (if that is what resurfacing means) would kick in a permit VIA IBC 105 #6

Never seen a permit for paving a parking lot in PA
Then the question is are you referencing Paving, re-paving or accessibility?
  • Because if it's a new building with a parking lot, don't you check the A117.1 requirements for routes and slopes before issuing a C/O?
  • If it is re-paving, could they not be altering the required A11.17 requirements for routes and slopes during their re-work?
  • Or does the AHJ not require permits for any work that is required to meet A117.1 as adopted in PA?
If a AHJ is not requiring permits for alterations to areas covered by A117.1 and they don't have an exception for not, like CT, does, then how does the AHJ justify not requiring some sort of permit?

Sounds like a liability if they don't.

Never seen a permit for paving a parking lot in PA
Then you never looked close enough. This was something that I discussed with PA L&I back in the mid 2000's because it was in question in some municipalities. The director at the time, I think it was a John was adamant that resurfacing & resealing and relining did, in fact, require a permit and the L&I required permits and inspections on all of the properties they were in charge of in opt-out communities and state-owned buildings. As a matter of fact, during the conversation, I remember him telling me that Penn State main campus was under a permit for a major parking lot resurfacing. It was at that point that we made sure that all resealing, resurfacing projects were permitted in all of the municipalities we worked in.

It is required, it has been required. Why you don't enforce it is a question you have to ask yourself.

ADA Business Brief (January 22, 2002): Restriping Parking Lots

ADA Business Brief (January 22, 2002): Restriping Parking Lots
Yep, they came out with this over 20 years ago on the federal level. There used to be a PDF the DOJ had for this too. If I can find it, I will post it.

"Do you issue permits for resealing/resurfacing and relining parking lots?"

Absolutely. It was not always so though. I came to this new city almost two years ago. The previous policy was not to require a permit. I drove around town and realized not to my surprise that a lot of the parking lots no longer had the required stalls nor the signage. Thats what happens when you don't get a permit for it, the people will remove them. Unless you are in california where you will be sued.

So a little off topic but on topic.

ADA notes Van at 11ft, 5ft aisle and then 8ft reg. spot = 24ft

or

Spot at 8ft, aisle at 8ft and then another 8ft spot = 24ft

So

why can't you have 10ft van spot? with a 6ft aisle and another 8ft spot which also equals = 24ft

should it not be for van spaces
  • a min 8ft parking space + the passenger side aisle must => 16ft?

This is from the DOJ Compliance Brief: Restriping Parking Spaces that Jeff provided a link to.

Accessible Parking Spaces
When a business or State or local government restripes parking spaces in a parking lot or parking structure (parking facilities), it must provide accessible parking spaces as required by the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design (2010 Standards).
In addition, businesses or privately owned facilities that provide goods or services to the public have a continuing ADA obligation to remove barriers to access in existing parking facilities when it is readily achievable to do so. Because restriping is relatively inexpensive, it is readily achievable in most cases. State and local government facilities also have an ongoing ADA obligation to make their programs accessible, which can require providing accessible parking.

The first grandiose assumption is that re-striping parking spaces is relatively inexpensive... relative to what? Now add the cost of plans and a permit. Oh you might need a CASp. And guess what.... there's a ramp in your future. It goes from, "Have Tape Measure/Will Travel" to, "Do we really need to mess with it?"

A simple thing like painting stripes on asphalt becomes an expensive, onerous task that the government should leave well enough alone. Do we have to screw with everything?

If a person is walking down the street, lost, and comes across two people. One person is just standing there waiting for the bus and the other person is painting the bench.... guess who is asked for directions? We just can't help but interrupt someone that is accomplishing a task. The government looks for inroads to direct our every endeavor. They can then take credit for a job well done.

Last edited:
"The first grandiose assumption is that re-striping parking spaces is relatively inexpensive... relative to what? Now add the cost of plans and a permit."

Roughly $1 per linear foot if using the correct paint. And that adds up real quick with 16 foot stalls.

What about sealing a pre-ADA parking lot with a slope over 2%? Do you have to regrade part of the lot to make fully-compliant ADA spaces, or is it adequate to just stripe spaces and provide signs as long as they aren't too far over 2% and not too far from the building?

1. The original post was not about whether ADA compliance is readily achievable. It was about whether restriping triggers permits. Unless your jurisdiction has somehow adopted 2010 ADAS as a local code, you must instead refer to your own locally adopted code to see whether restriping is subject to permit.

2. From an ADA perspective, the trigger for accessible parking is not restriping. The trigger is simply: (a) do you provide parking? If yes, then (b) is accessible parking readily achievable? If "yes", then you already have an obligation under civil law to provide accessible stalls, whether or not you also have an obligaiton under your adopted building code.

3. Restriping is relatively expensive as a hard construction cost, but it can also involve "soft cost" professional fees if your lot has already maxed out available space in order to provide the minimum number of zoning-code required parking spaces. A single van stall (18' long x 17' wide) will eat up 2 existing 9'x18' standard stalls, resulting in the loss of one stall. In some jurisdictions you are not allowed a POT behind other vehicles, so final configuration may wipe out even more on-accessible stalls.
This may take the development out of compliance, or require re-opening an old CUP case in order to get conditions of approval revised.

If your lot has multiple categories of dedicated parking (employees-only, guests-only, residents-only), than each category will have its own accessibility requirements.

What about sealing a pre-ADA parking lot with a slope over 2%? Do you have to regrade part of the lot to make fully-compliant ADA spaces, or is it adequate to just stripe spaces and provide signs as long as they aren't too far over 2% and not too far from the building?
Exactly what I was wondering from the BS language in the DOJ Compliance brief....But of course...It probably should have been updated anyway regardless of the striping project.....