• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Door Locks 06 IRC Section R311.4.4

Globe Trekker

When I mentioned adding a door or doors, I was not refering to after the CO. I was speaking of adding doors in the design.

I disagree that only one egress door is required. The number of egress doors is not addressed. Their is only one exit door required.

In answer to your question about two sets of doors and no window:

I don't see aproblem with that as long as one of the doors are openable to the outside without use of key, tools, special knowledge or effort.

After reviewing all of the responses and input provided (thanks for everybody's thoughts) I have arrived at the following position on the matter.

Only one exit door is required.

The doors an occupant must pass thru to reach the (one) required exit door are considered egress doors which must comply with the locking provisions.

All other exterior doors are ancilary passageway doors, which by virtue of not being required for exit do not have to comply with the locking provisions.

Just like in a assembly space that has two dozen doors from the space to the exterior, the only exit doors are the ones with an exit sign that are designated as an exit due to occupant load, remote location and travel distance requirements. I would only require the panic hardward and exit signs over the required exit doors and any egress doors you have to pass through to get to an exit door.

When intelligent, reasonable people fail to reach a consensus on a life/safety issue, we are left with utilizing common sense. Getting out of a building is the pinnacle of life/safety issues so an abundance of common sense is called for. If I can't get the *^&%$#@ door open it's a wall.

Last edited by a moderator: