• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Dryer Exhausts

globe trekker

Greetings to all!

I am looking for input regarding Residential dryer exhausts. I have an "interior-of-the-structure" dryer

location that cannot be moved.

I seem to recall that we had some discussion on here regarding some type of approved dryer

exhaust collection systems that could be installed for these type scenarios, ..possibly a wet, dryer

exhaust capturing method.

Thanks for your input! :)

I've yet to see anything I would accept from the prescriptive side. And, don't know if there's an economical engineered solution for residential.

There usually is another location that is suitable, folks just have to understand the current location cannot be made code compliant.

Why not just use a listed and labeled ventless condensing dryer they are allowed 2009 IRC M1502.2

The existing tenants have an older dryer that they want to continue to use.

The dryer exhaust duct was installed under the slab; lots of years ago, and

they are having problems with water ( from rain events ), entering the exhaust

duct and causing an obstruction to the exhausting. Also, no new exhaust

duct can be installed because of the interior location, and they do not want

to install a vertical exhaust duct & booster fan.

What would ya'll do? Thanks! :eek:

I would politely tell them they may be creating a code violation.

Here we do not do change of occupancy inspections for residential nor do we enforce the IPMC so it would never be an issue because it is existing.

Thanks " gb " for the input! I sure thought that there was some type of dryer

exhaust venting that utilized a water reservoir to catch the dryer exhausts..

I'm also pitching the idea of installing a new electrical circuit to an exterior

wall and them placing the dryer there, then installing a new exhaust duct

through that exterior wall location. They have already stated that they would

rather try to keep the dryer in its existing location ( if possible ). I'm trying

to provide viable options for the homeowner.

If it were new construction I would only allow a listed condensing dryer as an exception to a duct to the exterior.

In an existing situation where a remodel was taking place I would perhaps considered a listed condensing device (not a very grey area and a bit of a stretch to allow), none of those in that link would even come close to being acceptable. They were lint traps not condensing units.

In this case " gb ", there is no remodeling taking place, ..only a problematic exhausting

issue. Homeowners do not want to move their existing dryer location, nor do they

want to purchase a new condensation type dryer ( $$$$ ).

With these limitations in place, would you install one of the "lint catchers" in the link,

or would you recommend one of them as a last resort type thingy, or something else?

Thanks!

As you can probably tell, I'm trying to help turn a sow's ear in to a silk purse. :D

As an AHJ I could not recommend the lint catcher unless it was listed as a condensing unit to easy to find your self on the lawsuit end of a dryer fire. If I were a DP I would not put my name to it for the same reason.

As a guy who used to be a bachelor I can say with all confidence that my fire um I mean lint trap that I built out of a 5 gallon construction bucket worked great, for catching lint It also made my laundry room smell funny and kind of slimy all the time with moisture/mildew that I did not see for the first couple of months (you know I only did laundry maybe two-three times a month).

All in all I would tell them to do it right. As an AHJ or DP. even though I know the other way works kind of.

"gb ",

My scenario will not be an AHJ or DP issue in any way. Just trying to help someone with

an exhaust issue.

If my choice is to recommend a lint catcher, ..a condenser type dryer, ..use their existing

underslab exhaust duct, or to run a new electrical circuit to the exterior wall, I would say

that the "lint catcher thingy" is the least expensive, followed by the new electrical circuit,

then a new condenser dryer. The existing underslab dryer exhaust duct just doesn't do

it for me.

Much Thanks for your help ( and " fatboy " ) in talking this through!

I think where cda is going, (correct me if I'm wrong) is that is often code compliant to go vertical. When they do, I recommend a "clean-out" at the lowest junction. Other than that, it would be difficult for me to bless anything else.

I would never vent to the inside, the moisture load on the house will be a problem, condsation dripping off windows, in concealed space the cost of repairing the damage will out weigh the precived savings of not putting in an exterior vent and ***** fan.

But, a booster fan is not code compliant either........was for one code cycle, but none were list as an assembly.

globe trekker said:
cda,Yes, this is an existing single story, single family dwelling.

Go vertical and exhause thru the roof, not into the attic as I have worked that fire.

Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion! The homeowners do not want to penetrate the roofing

membrane.

globe trekker said:
Frank, Thanks for the suggestion! The homeowners do not want to penetrate the roofing membrane.
Well they probably don't want to pay for construction either, given the choice.

globe trekker said:
"gb ",My scenario will not be an AHJ or DP issue in any way. Just trying to help someone with

an exhaust issue.

If my choice is to recommend a lint catcher, ..a condenser type dryer, ..use their existing

underslab exhaust duct, or to run a new electrical circuit to the exterior wall, I would say

that the "lint catcher thingy" is the least expensive, followed by the new electrical circuit,

then a new condenser dryer. The existing underslab dryer exhaust duct just doesn't do

it for me.

Much Thanks for your help ( and " fatboy " ) in talking this through!

People have short memories and even if you tell them that they are taking a chance with venting to the interior of the house, even if you give them all the facts about mold and fire hazards for dryers that over heat, even if you show them this thread they still may give you bad press some time down the road if they make a wrong choice now.

I agree from experience on this one. The condensing dryers create a lot of moisture in a home. In MN here that is a huge problem in the winter months. We have had apartment builds install these type of units and produced lots complains from tenants that it took forever to dry their cloths and caused excessive moisture issues.

Sounds like they dont want to spend any money or do any thing--

How about go with an energy efficient solar powered clothes dryer?

Hang a clothesline.