• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential Dryer Exhausts

Don't want to do this, don't want to do that, don't want to spend money, don't want to..................

Tell them, "Sorry I can't help you! I've given every opinion on what meets code and you don't want to do any of them sooooooo do what you want too!"

Make sure the smoke detectors are up to code.

Any chance of horizontal boring under the slab to slide in a new one?

ventless dryers are great (expensive, but great), particularly when venting is an issue (you do still need, however, a condensate drain).

The existing duct is probably condensing the dryer exhaust in cooler weather conditions. If the exhaust is sloped towards the termination riser; excavate to the riser and install new sweep riser with a drain point.

righter101,

No, there is no chance of installing a new horizontal exhaust duct next to the

existing one. The existing one is gathering copious amounts of ( surface rain

water ) from normal rain events and some condensation from the

drying-of-clothes process itself.

Mule,

Yes, it is true that the homeowners do not want to spend any additional monies

where they do not have to. Again, this scenario is not an AHJ issue, ..a DP issue,

or even a remodeling issue ( yet! ) in any way. I am simply trying to offer

some solutions to a homeowner, ..as cheaply as I can.

Much thanks to you all for your input! Ya'll are the best! :D

i REALLY DO UNDERSTAND! bEEN THERE DONE THAT! sOMETIMES IT'S A NO WIN SITUATION.......... Stupid caps lock!!! That's what I get for not knowing how to type and I have to stare at my keyboard!! I was too far along and thought crapola!!!

the problem with putting them on the side of the house is soffit venting - this moisture can easily find it's way to the roof structure. We don't have a huge problem with the additional moisture in the structure - just don't add a humidifier for the furnace. The conditioned air should resolve those issues.

Too cheap for the Laundromat; might be a redneck if you route the dryer to the bathroom as a sauna and could exhaust with fart fan.

On the serious side if they ran a new circuit for the dryer outside in cold climate it may overheat and catch fire.

Francis

Sounds to me like the owner is just looking for someone to tell him that his almost no-cost solution will be ok, even in the face of expert advice as well as codes that say otherwise. I wouldn't advise them to use anything other that what would actually work. Too many fire/mold issues. Without a change of location, going through the roof would be what I would recommend.

Any way to run a duct to the exterior just below the ceiling and soffit around it, or is the distance too far? Those long sweep dryer ells make a big difference in runs with elbows.

Hmm thanks for sharing this wonderful post, I really like to your thread.It is quite helpful discussion according to me, thank you so much for the impressive post......