• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Residential R-2 doorway opening into enclosed stairwell

I guess I don't see why not. I've seen stairways with multiple access points, but never just for a single dwelling unit. I do this in commercial when a tenant occupies an entire floor. Seems like a odd design to have a dwelling unit accessed off the stair, though.

Fire Dept. is requiring enclosed stairwell after a fire. after enclosing the stairwell 1 apt. on 2nd and 3rd floors will be in enclosure.

A dwelling unit is a normally occupied space that is allowed to open directly into an exit enclosure. I have consulted on high end condos where there was only two condos per floor, each with openings directly into the stair enclosure.

so do they have a code section to require it???

do they want it rated??

is there any door swing issues??

I think I would go back to the fd and show them the drawings, along with the building dept, so everyone blesses it before it becomes a messeses

I had one where they had to open to an exit enclosure due to travel distance for one exit from a second story.

Not a dwelling unit. 12 unit aparment building. Doors swing into the units, can the exit from the units be in the enclosed interior stairwell. 2010 Calif. fire code sec. 1022. Just want to know can they open into enclosure. Recent fire 1 death from smoke inhalation stairs were not enclosed prior to the fire.

Alternative::: Sprinkle it

So if the stairs were enclosed = no death in first fire???

Is this a fire remodel of the building as is it empty today???

Stairways are only allowed to be used for means of egress. An apartment dumping into a stairway is using the stairway as it was intended by the code. The only issue may be the elevator lobby and accessible means of egress.

Also if the Residential Units are over 1800 SF , a second MOE is required.

(Occupant Load 200 Gross and Spaces with a single exit T.1015.1)

Thanks folks for the input. Fire remodel,fire on 2nd. floor, death on 3rd. who's to say if it would not have happened,open stairwell lets lot of smoke rise to the top. Just trying to make sure was'nt missing something with the apartment dumping into the stairwell.

The answer is yes, it can open into the enclosure; no.. the door probably doesn't have to swing out since it's a dwelling unit, but if it does, it can't encroach into the required width of the stairway landing more than allowed in your jurisdiction.