• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Retaining wall question

GBrackins said:
I wonder what their insurance agent would think of this ..... " what is the probability of someone falling and us having to pay out?"
I just hope they don't think I let it go without trying. Thats why my disclaimer will be on the final inspection report, of course that will probably be "disappeared".

On the insurance agent question, we don't enforce any swimming pool provisions either. When I found that out I figured "shirley the insurance companies would be covering some of it", after all its in their interest...right? Wrong.

= =

Sifu,

If you are concerned about reports dissappearing, then you

may want to keep your own copies in a safe location, not

at your residence.......Reports dissappear all the time!

= =

insurance agents have more power ....... they can enforce items that a building department could never simply by saying do so or find another carrier, or pay an upcharge green can be a very motivating color

Not overly concerned about intentional loss by the jurisdiction, more about simple records retention. I don't think the contractor or owner would volunteer records that would point fingers their way though. I keep pretty good records of the ones that concern me, like this one which I'll keep long after I'm gone. I agree with you about insurance companies GB but given what I said about pools I'm not sure we're correct. Not many folks putting up barriers on their own around here.

They try to deny coverage for ice protection at eaves here all the time, saying it isn't a code requirement. This past week we had an insurance company request all outlets be upgraded to current codes in a 1960s ranch because they were all ungrounded two prongs and no GFCIs. I just shake my head sometimes.