• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Retrofitting small multifamily communities with smart locks

julieernest

I'm interested in understanding what the requirements are to change out tenant locks and some common locks (gym/laundry) from traditional keyed locks to smart locks? This would be to update existing older properties, no wiring would be needed. I'm curious about information across the US, not just in one specific location.

Are permits required?
Is this now and access control situation?
Can handymen do the work?
What geographies are interconnected locks required for the tenant doors?

We have a pushbutton lock on the back door. Works normally with a key, or you punch a 4 digit code and turn the knob. Code can be changed in 2 min. No reason a normal maintenance guy can’t install them.

But mine is not a smart lock. It’s not connected to any wifi system. I would ask why you want a smart lock.

I don't require anything...code does.... ;) ...and that is not one of the exempt items in IBC 105.....
So if i want to change the locks on my house, i need a permit? Or change the locks on my 2,000 sf retail store?

Wireless, have a keypad and work through BLE gateway and app on your phone.
So you can use the keypad if you don't have the app and someone gives you the code?

Permits and licensing would not be required here, and I suspect the majority of the country as well, but there will be a decent number of exceptions. The best bet is to contact the local building department and fire department in any place you would install the locks.

The main issues with doors and locks will come in if:

(1) People can't get out in an emergency without having the key, knowing the code, et cetera.
(2) The locks need to still let people out if they lose power somehow.
(3) The fire department requires a Knox Box or similar so they have access for the particular building, you would have to talk to them and see what they think.
(4) Accessibility for disabled individuals. I think a keypad is accessible if it is mounted between 15" and 48" of the ground.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

So if i want to change the locks on my house, i need a permit? Or change the locks on my 2,000 sf retail store?
Which exemption from permit would it fall under ? Trim or finish work?

R105.2 Work Exempt From Permit

Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws, statutes, regulations or ordinances of the jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following work:
  • Building:
    1. Other than storm shelters, one-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area is not greater than 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
    2. Fences, other than swimming pool barriers, not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
    3. Retaining walls that are not higher than 3 feet (914 mm) measured from finished grade at the bottom of the wall to finished grade at the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
    4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
    5. Sidewalks, driveways and on-grade concrete or masonry patios not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
    6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work not involving structural changes or alterations.
    7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are equal to or less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
    8. Swings, nonhabitable tree houses and other playground equipment.
    9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and which do not require additional support.
    10. Decks and ramps not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling, do not require guards, and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
    11. Repairs that are limited to 25 percent of roof covering and building siding within one calendar year.

[A]105.1 Required.​

Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

I don't think wireless locks can be considered an electrical system according to the NEC based on 90.2. What code section would you lean on to show they are regulated by the code?

[A]105.1 Required.​

Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

I don't think wireless locks can be considered an electrical system according to the NEC based on 90.2. What code section would you lean on to show they are regulated by the code?
How are you going to pass a blower door test if the door isn't latched?

N1102.4.1.1 (R402.4.1.1) Installation

The components of the building thermal envelope as indicated in Table N1102.4.1.1 shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and the criteria indicated in Table N1102.4.1.1, as applicable to the method of construction. Where required by the code official, an approved third party shall inspect all components and verify compliance.

R302.5.1 Opening Protection

Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors. Doors shall be self-latching and equipped with a self-closing or automatic-closing device.

And as the OP was talking about "multifamily", pick any of 10 sections out of the IBC:

1010.2.2 Hardware​

Door handles, pulls, latches, locks and other operating devices on doors required to be accessible by Chapter 11 shall not require tight grasping, tight pinching or twisting of the wrist to operate.