• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Reuse of an existing bathroom.

Adrole

Can an existing bathroom be reused if not touched during the remodel/demo process?

Pcinspector1, asked the right questions.

I would also ask what percentage of the total project costs were spent on ADA improvements? And also ask if the the bathroom is required?

I would also ask what percentage of the total project costs were spent on ADA improvements? A

I would also ask what percentage of the total project costs were spent on ADA improvements? And also ask if the the bathroom is required?
We haven't spent any money on the project yet. We only gather information before obtaining a permit.

It's a remodel of a shop space within the Killeen mall in texas, and yes, the bathroom is required.

If the existing bathroom complies with codes for new, than of course it can be left as is and reused. If it complies as existing, but not as new, then perhaps it has to be brought up to new. I don't believe there is a universal nationwide answer for that, and would depend on what does not comply with new, how extensive the remodel is, and how the code is amended in the jurisdiction.

Can an existing bathroom be reused if not touched during the remodel/demo process?
Thats an odd question, since your subsequent comments say it meets code. So … why are you asking? Somethings missing …

What ever would make you think that an existing fully compliant toilet room could not be re used? something is off

Is a shop space in Texas the same as a "tenant space" or is the shop used for maintenance staff of the mall?

Assuming the ADA 20% Rule does not kick in for the tenant space. Review if Texas has adopted the IEBC ( existing building code ) then look at the Work Area method for Level 2 Alterations and Chapter 809 for Plumbing. If the tenant space has not increased it occupant load by more than 20%, then a new fixture count based on the current codes should not have to be performed.