• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Riser room Knox box ?

Lipets

The riser room door is not locked but the Fire Marshal is asking for a Knox box to be installed.

I told him there's no key required to open the door therefor no reason to have a knox box.

I tried to lookup the Fire code but can't locate it online only option to buy it

Anyone have info on this issue?

Lipets,
So the Fire Marshal will only be allowed in the riser room?

When there's a fire or they see smoke, his firefighters will just use their special key to get in, they'll use their AXE!
And add the cost of boarding up the door.

2021 IFC Section 506.1

For the cost of the box … why are you arguing?
Because the Fire Marshall is wrong to ask for it for this room per IFC Section 506.1.

506.1 Where required.
Where access to or within a structure or an area is restricted because of secured openings......

The room is not required to be locked.
[F] 902.1.1 Access.
Automatic sprinkler system risers, fire pumps and controllers shall be provided with ready access. Where located in a fire pump room or automatic sprinkler system riser room, the door shall be permitted to be locked provided that the key is available at all times.

Lipets,
So the Fire Marshal will only be allowed in the riser room?

When there's a fire or they see smoke, his firefighters will just use their special key to get in, they'll use their AXE!
And add the cost of boarding up the door.

2021 IFC Section 506.1

Why would they use an axe on a door that is not locked? I know we like to kid our fire guys that fire fighters like to break things, but this seems a little over the top.

Why would they use an axe on a door that is not locked? I know we like to kid our fire guys that fire fighters like to break things, but this seems a little over the top.
That's not the front or back door of the building, he said a riser room door that has no lock. Do firefighters enter the building from other doors, lets say the front of the building.

Yes being a little dramatic using their AXE, but sometimes that's how they might get in, if theirs no key.

I was told by a Fire Captain the Knox box system is used to prevent the excessive damage to entrance doors, maybe he was wrong?

Have you called said FM and explained that there is no locking mechanism on the door?

IMHO, this is what happens when someone uses a checklist. A lapse in common sense.

That's not the front or back door of the building, he said a riser room door that has no lock. Do firefighters enter the building from other doors, lets say the front of the building.

Yes being a little dramatic using their AXE, but sometimes that's how they might get in, if theirs no key.

I was told by a Fire Captain the Knox box system is used to prevent the excessive damage to entrance doors, maybe he was wrong?

You are not wrong on the purpose of a Knox box, but the question here isn't the building entrance door, it's the door to the riser room -- which does not have a lock. If it doesn't have a lock, there is no key -- so what can they put in the Knox box, a note to the fire fighters that says "Dear Firemen, the door is unlocked, please don't break it"?

My assumption was that this is where the FM expects to see the Knox box, is it clear where the Knox box should be located? or is that left up to the FM or FO?

Our ordinance requires one where the Fire Official wants it, not where any Fire Marshall wants it. These are to different positions in a lot of entities.

The OP does not indicate what the occupancy is or if the building is secured at times or open 24/7 such as a hotel, truck stop, restaurants etc..

The OP does not indicate what the occupancy is or if the building is secured at times or open 24/7 such as a hotel, truck stop, restaurants etc..

This raises a question: Where does the Fire Marshal want the Knox box? When I read the original question, I interpreted it to mean a Knox box adjacent to the UNlocked riser room. If the door to the riser room is inside the building and the Fire Marshal is asking for a Knox box at the building entrance, that's a different matter entirely.

Is it possible this building was just inspected and there was no KB and the Fire Marshall just caught this while doing an annual inspection?

Need some more information.

My thought process is:
The Fire Official reviews the plans and comments on the location of the KB at review stage.
The Fire Marshall inspects and may have the KB on his check-see list.

Q) FO, Where do you want this KB to be located?

No lock on the riser room, that does not seem like a good idea.