• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Romex Splice Kit WITHOUT The Need For A Junction Box - Is It Code Compliant?

I believe in the 2020 NEC it is generally permitted in any time Romex is permitted. A NY inspector told me the state in upgrading from 2017 to 2023 may amend it out. Somewhere on this board I documented the code development of this.

There may still be some language about repair wiring which is just foolish...if it is an approved splice that can be buried, then it doesn't care if it is new or a repair...

I think the 23 edition deleted the "repair" language. Scroll down to end of this thread and I posted som history on the code changes.

These devices are very expensive - $60? - so they may never be used much. I read in Mike Holts board that production stopped because of resistance and price - but that's a rumor - and may just be the Tyco product.

2020 NEC Art 334.40b allows it. No reason not to allow it.

Kinda like the plumbers that like copper fighting the use of PEX.
Or
The paper plan guys vs the paperless guys, when their computers are down they come to the guy with the paper or they go get a latte!o_O