• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Access in TAAAALLL S-Occupancy

indyarchyguy

Good afternoon. I am working with 2012 IBC. I have a client who has been asked to design a new addition to an existing F-Occupancy. The new building will be an S-Occupancy and consists of one-story, 100-feet to the bottom of the deck. This facility will house rack storage of materials used to make different finished products and are "picked" with several robot retrievers that move both horizontally and vertically, dropping the retrieved item on a conveyor which is delivered to the desired recipient in an adjacent building.

The Owner indicated they built a similar structure in Germany and were required to provide a stairway system to provide access to the roof. The roof is not occupied and will not have any rooftop equipment located on it. Based on the response to my questions, the only reason to access the roof will be for roof maintenance as needed.

Per my review of 1009, it appears to me the only requirement for a stairway is for a building with four or more stories above grade plane. Since this is a single-story, I do not believe this section applies to this particular facility. Thoughts?

I would ask the AHJ (building and fire) they may ask for something in a building that tall, but I don't believe there is anything in IBC that absolutely requires it in your situation..

Good one!

I checked the IFC and it looks like the codes are both in cahoots with each other, not requiring a stair unless your at four stories as you indicated. I'd check mezzanines just to be safe.

The building is Type II-N. The city is going to allow them the height. The building footprint is 11,000-sf and it will have a full-sprinkler system with in-rack coverage. There will be no mechanical equipment of any kind, nor other elements located on the roof. I am recommending that at a very minimum they provide ladders with intermediate mezzanines, safety cages, etc., and speak with the AHJ before they get down the road too far. However, in my professional opinion I am telling them they should provide a stairway because it just makes good common sense.

Maybe some type of roof access, might not have to be stairs

No vents for high piled stock???

No exhaust fans for comfort?