• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Deck from Hell

tbz said:
Got this sky shot off mapquestYou can see the Black skylight with the gray above and the gray below and what looks like the ridge line cut is were the roof is lowest and levels off running to the back edge.
I don't see a 40' cliff.

I don't see a 40' cliff
.Me neither. You can get all four angle shots on BING maps "birds eye view". You can't save their pictures though. I would turn it in to the AHJ. Then it is out of your hands and you can stop obsessing.

Daddy-O

Thanks for the Bing notation.

My note being 40ft was based on the 3 house stories plus additional cliff outside back by 6' going down another 15' The tree coverage behind the house is below the roof line of the view blue line notes base, magenta notes over all and the red shows window removed and door installed.

13th%20street%203-D.jpg

GH,

In NJ the state requires a permit for basic repairs even on roofs, unless you replace just a few blown off shingles. I did not mention the stairs or landing because that is inside work and no way to check that out.

As for cutting in the doors to replace windows, access at this point is access.

The simple fact you can get on the roof and it has now been converted to a deck from a roof should be an issue and I don't buy the no permit required.

Here is a question for you what are the design loads required for a roof on 2 degrees and an exterior deck or floor?

Also, I am not sure were you are but skylights in the middle of decks in NJ require guards blocking them if the base is not more than 30" above the deck. Not sure of the code section, but required here.

I tried to keep the guard issue basic, for ease.

As for turning it in, called another AHJ who knows that official and they passed on the information already.