• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof openings adjacent to fire barriers

jlbrunet

Are there limitations to openings in roofs adjacent to fire BARRIERS per the IBC 2012? I know there are limitations to roof openings for fire WALLS per Section 706.6 Exception 2 of the IBC, but I could not find similar requirements for fire barriers. Info on the project in question:

-split building owned by the same owner/tenant (split into warehouse and salesroom) is within allowable fire area threshold and building area

-wall shared by warehouse/sales is specified to be a two hour rated wall (UL Listing 419) per designer

-warehouse is taller than sales area, so the upper portion of the rated wall is exposed to the exterior

-restrooms in warehouse are adjacent to 2 hour wall, designed so that plumbing runs adjacent to rated wall

My question is, because this wall is not required to be a fire WALL, but a fire barrier (as also indicated by the UL listing), can plumbing vents run through the roof adjacent to the fire barrier or is there a distance requirement like there is for fire walls? I couldn't find anything.

Relatively new at this, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2012 IPC 903.5 Location of vent terminal.

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, and any such vent terminal shall not be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is 3 feet (914 mm) or more above the top of such opening.

& > >

jlbrunet,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum !

You have asked two different questions.

Question # 1: Are there limitations to openings in roofs

adjacent to fire BARRIERS per the IBC 2012?

See Section 707.6, `12 IBC for the openings limitations

Question # 2: My question is, because this wall is not

required to be a fire WALL, but a fire barrier (as also

indicated by the UL listing), can plumbing vents run

through the roof adjacent to the fire barrier or is there

a distance requirement like there is for fire walls?

Yes, ...plumbing vents can run adjacent to a fire barrier

type wall, thru the roof..........The plumbing vents are not

part of the fire barrier assembly............The "vtr's would

need to be sealed appropriately when penetrating the

roof.

< < &

Greetings,

I don't recall any restriction for openings through the roof adjacent to a fire barrier. I believe North Star is mistaken. Fire barriers are only required to the underside of the roof deck. Nothing more. Not so with fire walls particularly when there is no parapet. That's a different animal.

BSSTG

jlbrunet said:
Are there limitations to openings in roofs adjacent to fire BARRIERS per the IBC 2012? I know there are limitations to roof openings for fire WALLS per Section 706.6 Exception 2 of the IBC, but I could not find similar requirements for fire barriers. Info on the project in question:-split building owned by the same owner/tenant (split into warehouse and salesroom) is within allowable fire area threshold and building area

-wall shared by warehouse/sales is specified to be a two hour rated wall (UL Listing 419) per designer

-warehouse is taller than sales area, so the upper portion of the rated wall is exposed to the exterior

-restrooms in warehouse are adjacent to 2 hour wall, designed so that plumbing runs adjacent to rated wall

My question is, because this wall is not required to be a fire WALL, but a fire barrier (as also indicated by the UL listing), can plumbing vents run through the roof adjacent to the fire barrier or is there a distance requirement like there is for fire walls? I couldn't find anything.

Relatively new at this, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Above quote underlined and blue high lights below were done for emphasis.

Does the following answer the question?

705.8.6 Vertical exposure. For buildings on the same lot, opening protectives having a fire protection rating of not less than 3/4 hour shall be provided in every opening that is less than 15 feet (4572 mm) vertically above the roof of an adjacent building or structure based on assuming an imaginary line between them. The opening protectives are required where the fire separation distance between the imaginary line and the adjacent building or structure is less than 15 feet (4572 mm).

Exceptions:

1. Opening protectives are not required where the roof assembly of the adjacent building or structure has a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 hour for a minimum distance of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the exterior wall facing the imaginary line and the entire length and span of the supporting elements for the fire-resistance-rated roof assembly has a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 hour.

2. Buildings on the same lot and considered as portions of one building in accordance with Section 705.3 are not required to comply with Section 705.8.6.

705.3 Buildings on the same lot. For the purposes of determining the required wall and opening protection, projections and roof-covering requirements, buildings on the same lot shall be assumed to have an imaginary line between them.

Where a new building is to be erected on the same lot as an existing building, the location of the assumed imaginary line with relation to the existing building shall be such that the exterior wall and opening protection of the existing building meet the criteria as set forth in Sections 705.5 and 705.8.

Exception: Two or more buildings on the same lot shall either be regulated as separate buildings or shall be considered as portions of one building if the aggregate area of such buildings is within the limits specified in Chapter 5 for a single building. Where the buildings contain different occupancy groups or are of different types of construction, the area shall be that allowed for the most restrictive occupancy or construction.

Fire barriers would not create separate buildings...just separate fire areas...I do not believe there is any restriction as long as it does not penetrate the rated assembly. As a matter of fact, I think the vent pipe could be in the wall and stick out the roof with no "added" protection..