• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Repair

texasbo

Platinum Member
Hello everyone,Haven't been around in a while, but one of our inspectors found this yesterday. Let me describe it:This is the attic above the second story of an office building. The roof leaked. The repairman strapped a dustpan to the rafters below the leak, partially supported with strips of plastic garbage bags. The dustpan discharges to a bucket, that has had a spigot attached to it. Attached to the spigot, is a portion of garden hose, which conveniently discharges to a nearby HVAC condensate overflow pan.There are a few things that confuse me, and I'll follow up if the photo comes through.

View attachment 1749

View attachment 1749

/monthly_2012_12/000000000.jpg.2ec1fd939c6a948d46dcb5dfee0f731b.jpg

Ok, couple of questions:

1) This was about 10' above attic floor. Can we write them for no access to the fixture?

2) Does there need to be an air gap between the garden hose and condensate pan? ( I say no)

3) Is a valve on a roof drain legal? (I couldn't find anything prohibiting it)

4) How will people know if the HVAC primary condensate is clogged, during a rainstorm?

5) Why didn't they just run the hose down to a sink, where someone could get a cool drink of water. When it's raining.

In the end, we just wrote them for discharging storm to sanitary. This kind of thing really irritates the Public Works folks.

codeworks said:
now, my next question, did they fix the leak in the roof?
Seriously, this WAS the fix. Had apparently been there for months.

However, we eventually convinced them to eliminate the internal roof drain, and just let the the slope of the roof handle the drainage. Soon they'll be fixing the hole where the rain comes in.

brudgers said:
Ah, a day in the life.
I spoke with the building official of Blackburn, Lancashire, and he said this was a common problem there, although the holes are rather small.