• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof to wall wind mitigation, 3rd nail question

LeonCi

I've read through several different documents about requirements on inspections for 3rd nails on older homes, and I can't seem to find anything specific in regards to the type of nails required. Are 1-1/2" 8d nails suitable for this specific application? The nails are designed for standard connectors which seem to have smaller holes, but what about the straps? The 8d heads are a bit smaller. Would this be an issue on inspections?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
I do not know if this would be an issue on inspection. Have you checked the required nailing schedule contained in the applicable building code? This schedule should cite the size/type nail and quantity required for various connected members.

I've read through several different documents about requirements on inspections for 3rd nails on older homes, and I can't seem to find anything specific in regards to the type of nails required. Are 1-1/2" 8d nails suitable for this specific application? The nails are designed for standard connectors which seem to have smaller holes, but what about the straps? The 8d heads are a bit smaller. Would this be an issue on inspections?
This is for a wind mitigation inspection for existing homes and the requirements for the inspection are found here:

The type of strap determines the type of fastener required, however, you are showing photos of a typical thick metal strap of an unknown manufacturer. On my house I used 16D ring shank nails so there would be no question whatsoever. If the head looks too small in comparison to the existing original nails, there is always the possibility that the insurance company will question it. I just replaced my roof and replaced all the plywood along the edge so I could access this connection and get photographic evidence of the connection. In many instances, I have 4-5 nails, with some having 1 on top and two on each side with the exact same setup and existing strap that you have, with my home being constructed in 1969. I hope this helps.

You can buy them at Amazon right here

Approved Hurricane Strap Nails Simpson Strong Tie

These are the Simpson Strong-Tie nails that they spec out for most of their hurricane straps and they are 10D but the important factor is the 0.148" diameter.

IMG_5262.JPG

Last edited: