• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Roof Truss Installation Problems .. ICE>>>>>

As a former truss designer turned building inspector, if there is a red bearing tag in the middle of that truss, it must be supported by a wall or beam at that point. If there is no bearing in that location and the truss drawing shows it being there, it must have must have support in that location. If the truss manufacturer says that it will be okay to clear span that truss...be very weary. They must provide you with another truss drawing showing clear span. Typically, the metal plate sizes will change and perhaps the lumber grade when you remove that middle bearing.

It can probably be fixed by adding osb gussets at locations the plate size increases and other fixes. The truss repair will be spec'd by the manufacturer and stamped by an engineer. The osb gussets will be spec'd a certain size and be applied to both sides. It will probably be glued and nailed (clinched).

Truss bracing tags are helpful, but always look at the truss drawing. The manufacturer doesn't always get all the tags on the truss. You may also see a blue tag from time to time. The blue tag is for "T" bracing on a specific web. You'll see this in a lot of hip roofs where each truss is different. The green lateral brace tag is only useful if you can brace 3 webs in a row(minimum). If only 2 webs in a row match, you must use "T" bracing.

Mule said:
Also... This is the first time I've seen this type of tag on a truss. The tag specified additional bracing required.
402357912.jpg

kyhowey, I totally agree with your posting. There is that slight chance, and I repeat sight chance that they have the truss set backwards. The truss could be re-run with additional bearing designied in the truss. A lot of if's, but field work may save thier bacon.

As a former truss designer turned building inspector, me too. Short lived, 1-1/2 years in a building slow down and not an expert.

pc1

Those few trusses.. I believe 3 of them were set backwards. Still waiting on verification on two point load!

additional bracing is always required, and it's up to the building designer to specify it. The IRC refers back to BCSI 1-03 which keeps sending you back to the "building structure system design documents for the building designer". (Sec B7)