• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Running Trap for freezer floor drain?

Mech

2015 IPC

Is a running trap allowed?

I do not see it listed in 1002.3 Prohibited traps.

1002.3 Prohibited traps. The following types of traps are prohibited:
1. Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
2. Bell traps.
3. Crown-vented traps.
4. Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on interior partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed of an approved material that is resistant to corrosion and degredation.
5. "S" traps.
6. Drum traps. Exception: Drum traps used as solids interceptors and drum traps serving chemical waste systems shall not by prohibited.

The reason I ask is because I have a floor drain located in a walk in freezer. The trap is located outside the freezer to prevent freezing per section 802.1.2 and section 802.2 is requiring a trap on the indirect waste line.

Indirect Waste
802.2 Installation Indirect waste piping shall discharge through an air gap or air break into a waste receptor. Waste receptors shall be trapped and vented and shall connect to the building drainage system. Indirect waste piping that exceeds 30 inches in developed length measure horizontally, or 54 inches in total developed length, shall be trapped.
Exception: Where a waste receptor receives only clear water waste and does not directly connect to a sanitary drainage system, the receptor shall not require a trap.

If a running trap is not allowed, can I place a 90 degree elbow to achieve vertical flow and immediately enter a P-trap? Picture below.

I had to google "running trap" because I never herd of one after being a plumbing inspector for 15 years. Google says it's the same as a house trap. House traps are not allowed unless the utility requires them.

UPC addresses a running trap, maybe the AHJ will accept it under alternate materials and methods since it is allowed in another code as long as a vent is installed.

1641583799230.png

I only read the code book and draw squiggly lines on paper, so I am not sure how to install a trap in this scenario otherwise.

A running trap was used as a building sewer trap which was almost impossible to clean. If you notice the UPC only permits them on a gray water drain which makes sense. HVAC Condensate pvc traps are basically "running traps" and they will get blocked at times put are easy to clear with chemicals or air.
1641920525071.png

A running trap was used as a building sewer trap which was almost impossible to clean. If you notice the UPC only permits them on a gray water drain which makes sense. HVAC Condensate pvc traps are basically "running traps" and they will get blocked at times put are easy to clear with chemicals or air.
View attachment 8492

310.3.1 Cleanouts. Condensate drain lines shall be configured or provided with a cleanout to permit the clearing of blockages and for maintenance without requiring the drain line to be cut.

Keystone: Would you approve the 90 degree elbow with P-trap?

No.

The drain from the freezer would dump into something such as this.
Then this receptor would be trapped.

Here’s another link, I know it’s IAPMO but see the bottom of the page, diagram helps clarify.

Thank you for the responses.

I think where I am getting hung up / confused is Section 802.2, listed in my original post, where it says "Indirect waste piping that exceeds 30 inches in developed length measure horizontally, or 54 inches in total developed length, shall be trapped." This appears, to me, to contradict Section 802.1.2, where it says to not install a trap.

Section 802.1.2 Floor Drains in food storage areas. Floor drains located within walk-in refrigerators or freezers in food service and food establishments shall be indirectly connected to the sanitary drainage system by means of an air gap. Where a floor drain is located within an area subject to freezing the waste line servicing the floor drains shall not be trapped and shall indirectly discharge into a waste receptor located outside of the area subject to freezing.
Exception: Where protected against backflow by a back water valve, such floor drains shall be indirectly connected to the sanitary drainage system by means of an air break or an air gap.

The commentary (not code) for section 802.1.2 references section 802.2 requiring the indirect waste pipe to be trapped where the length limit is exceeded.
The proposed floor drain indirect waste piping exceeds the lengths listed in 802.2.

Thank you for the responses.

I think where I am getting hung up / confused is Section 802.2, listed in my original post, where it says "Indirect waste piping that exceeds 30 inches in developed length measure horizontally, or 54 inches in total developed length, shall be trapped." This appears, to me, to contradict Section 802.1.2, where it says to not install a trap.

Section 802.1.2 Floor Drains in food storage areas. Floor drains located within walk-in refrigerators or freezers in food service and food establishments shall be indirectly connected to the sanitary drainage system by means of an air gap. Where a floor drain is located within an area subject to freezing the waste line servicing the floor drains shall not be trapped and shall indirectly discharge into a waste receptor located outside of the area subject to freezing.
Exception: Where protected against backflow by a back water valve, such floor drains shall be indirectly connected to the sanitary drainage system by means of an air break or an air gap.

The commentary (not code) for section 802.1.2 references section 802.2 requiring the indirect waste pipe to be trapped where the length limit is exceeded.
The proposed floor drain indirect waste piping exceeds the lengths listed in 802.2.
Agree.

May be a worthwhile code revision.