• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

San Franciso looking at 'bird-safe' buildings

Papio Bldg Dept said:
a small pebble aggregate concrete mix perhaps?
Of course! That's the part that surrounds the wood until you slip it out when no one is looking.

Nonetheless, I still want the damn thing at least 30 stories away from our border.

ICE said:
If they want to get serious about saving birds they should outlaw BB guns and cats. When I was a kid living in Illinois, birds in the thousands would roost in a particular pair of trees every year. One year, the homeowner lined the ground with bushel baskets and went to work with a shotgun. I got a quarter for picking up the ones that missed the basket and killing the wounded. That was big money to a six year old. Imagine if that happened today. The homeowner would be in jail ...... the kid would get five dollars and mental health counseling. Edit: Maybe I shouldn't have posted this. A few of you already think I need counseling. Yup, me and Ozzie need counseling.
So you killed the wounded by biting the heads off?

mark handler said:
It did not originate in the People’s Republic of Californiahttp://www.nycaudubon.org/home/BirdSafeBuildingGuidelines.pdf

http://www.nycaudubon.org/home/BSBGuidelines.shtml

Bird-Safe Building Guidelines

New York City Audubon has just published (october 26, 2006) Bird-Safe Building Guidelines, a 55-page manual for architects, landscape designers, engineers, glass technicians, developers, building managers, city, state, and federal officials, and the general public. It reveals the magnitude of bird-collisions with glass and describes the conditions that cause these deadly collisions. Bird-safety in buildings is integral to the “green” sustainable building movement, and the guidelines suggest strategies that complement the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating system. The guidelines also suggest ways to retrofit existing buildings. NYC Audubon’s Bird-Safe Building Guidelines are an important resource for all people in the building and design industries as well as policy makers.
My bad, New York City (2006) not the first, 2005 Chicago

BIRD-SAFE BUILDING DESIGN GUIDE FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION AND RENOVATION

Richard M. Daley, Mayor

Chicago Department of Planning and Development

2005 Chicago

http://www.birdsandbuildings.org/docs/ChicagoBirdSafeDesignGuide.pdf

Make yourself a 'high rise' of gopher wood. Make rooms in the 'high rise', and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the 'high rise' 300 cubits,e its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits. Make a roof for the 'high rise', and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the 'high rise' in its side...

The comments regarding caves, and lean-toos reminded me of a special provision inCalirornia law which is included in Section R301.1.1.1 of the California Residential Code. This basically says that if you live in a limited density region, think at the end of a dirt road with few to no neighbors, and you built the dwelling yourself you can do practically whatever you want unless it is a real safety or fire hazard.

Mark K said:
The comments regarding caves, and lean-toos reminded me of a special provision inCalirornia law which is included in Section R301.1.1.1 of the California Residential Code. This basically says that if you live in a limited density region, think at the end of a dirt road with few to no neighbors, and you built the dwelling yourself you can do practically whatever you want unless it is a real safety or fire hazard.
But isn't R301.1.1.1 for new one and two family residential construction? That wouldn't be applicable to an existing structure such as a cave, but would give those pining for a lean-to, hope eternal, in california at least. Is there an existing building section in the CRC?

We have a 5 million sq. ft. Mine/cave about to start sending in plans for review. The developer wants to emulate the mines in KC. When that happens I would love to start a new thread for help.

gbhammer said:
We have a 5 million sq. ft. Mine/cave about to start sending in plans for review. The developer wants to emulate the mines in KC. When that happens I would love to start a new thread for help.
I have actually been into the old KC caves, mostly used for storage now. If there is ever a zombie/armegeddon type attack, that is where I am headed. Anything and everything is stored in those caves. They are amazing, not sure how you would handle the MOE travel distances and more than one egress.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
, not sure how you would handle the MOE travel distances and more than one egress.
I know. It seems like a nightmare of code violations.

gbhammer said:
I worked for one of the jurisdictions that has some of that underground development. I did both plan review and inspections on various projects within the "caves". We developed our own ordinance to address building and fire code matters. When you get to the point of needing information, let me know. I can point you in the right direction.

brudgers said:
Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!
When one hunts rabbit with a grenade there should not be enough of it left for a good stew. Besides holy water could just ruin the flavor.