• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Science Lab Rooms in Middle Schools

Mule

Platinum Member
2006 IBC, 175,000 sq. ft. middle school, has Science Labs adjacent to regular classrooms.

The I-Codes have done away with the requirement for a 1 hour walls between classrooms and science labs if the building is sprinklered.

I'm looking at the chemicals that are being used, compressed gases and other hazardous situations.

Anything else that jumps out at you guys in these types of occupancies? Should there be some type of special cabinet to store the chemicals or is this more of a fire department issue?

Re: Science Lab Rooms in Middle Schools

Yes!

If the quantities of materials get about the thresholds in Table 307.1, then control areas are needed. These will re-create the rated separations your were familiar with. You need to look at the TOTAL amount of chemicals that will be present without separation in determining whether the thresholds have been crossed. If they don't use the control area option, then a High Hazard occupancy is created which would mean either a 3-hour separation for "separated occupancies" or else a series of 4-hour fire walls will be needed to break up the school into suitable sizes when using non-separated mixed occupancies.

(Oh, and there IS a plethera of fire department issues as well.) ;)

Bunsen burner

lab hood for nasty chemical experiments

Two ways out???

eye wash???

I would ask for the cabinets, or suggest them.

Explosion venting??

It has the two exits and eye wash. Don't know about the other stuff.

Explosion venting? Help me out. Is that fire code or electrical?

Explosion venting?

a suggestion for some of the children tah are in schools now a days.

Gene - good points. I agree. By the way, I tried to get an opportunity to introduce myself in Baltimore - I sat through all the tedious hours of your committee, but never got a chance to say hi. Good job, though.

OSHA has more rules than anybody else when it comes to lab chemicals. The cabinets, keeping reactive chemicals separated, lab coats, gloves, face shields, respirators, allowed amounts, training requirements and a bunch more. Certainly the school is aware of this.

Aw shucks, (Vegas) Paul. Thanks.

Tedious is right. The hearings were just a bit longer than we'd have liked them to be. Stuff Happens!

Comments from someone who in a previous life permitted hazmats at middle and high schools:

For the most part, middle and high-school chemistry labs are no where near as problematic as university chemistry departments. First, reagent grade chemicals are expensive, so independant school districts (ISDs) don't like spending the large dollars for these chemicals. Secondly, waste disposal costs can sometimes be more than the costs of the chemicals themselves. Third, the hazards of some the chemicals in many cases outweighs the educational benefit to the junior and senior high level students.

What your going to find in most every middle and high school is very small amount of aromatic solvents (flammable liquids), some acids and bases (corrosives) and salts (generally nonhazardous but may be Class I or II solid oxidizers). You'll find some benign metals like mercury, zinc, aluminum. In the compressed arena, they may have nitrogen and oxygen and small amounts of propane or a similar fuel gas. For the most part, that's about all you will find, based on my 20 years experience dealing with my local ISD. Even the magnet schools want to avoid most hazmats for all of the reasons I stated. The amounts in storage and use have never even approached 50% of the MAQ values in IBC Tables 307.1(1) and 307.1(2).

You can easily solve code compliance by having the ISD prepare a decent HMIS and using approved cabinets to store the hazardous materials. Most of the experiments the students do these days focus on the basics of the physical states, ideal gas law, heat transfer, and simple experiments of how chemical bonds are made and broken. The days of using reagent sodium in an experiment are gone (which was one of those turning points in my life).

Now if your dealing with the University of Texas at Austin Welch Hall, the UT Pickle Semiconductor Research Laboratory, or UT Moffett Biosciences Research Center, send me a private mail because these facilities require a far more detailed analysis.

Great information. Thanks guys...and gals!