• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Section 404 Atriums 2006 IBC

So is take it the office was never separated from the atrium by one hour?

Can you post pre demo?

Would they be happy if you seperate the dining from kitchen by one hour? If that would work for the business

The original office space was never separated from the atrium. Sorry no pre demolition layout exists. I believe the entrance to the office was off the lobby so the atrium was over what would have been mostly the reception area. It was gutted out and been an empty space for a few years. The restaurant wants to add the exterior entrance so that doesn't exist at this time.

Can't separate the kitchen. Open kitchen, part of the concept. So there's the rub I guess.

Ok

How many sq ft are lost if the atrium area is separated??

Will the building owner allow you to close up the bottom of the atrium???

Atrium needs to be seperated, smoke and sprinkler systems need to be designed appropriately,....nothing that says the restaraunt cannot be inside the atrium...

I ended up hiring the FP engineer. He was able to help us walk through the code on the atrium. We don't have a problem with the restaurant in the atrium space and he was able to work with the sprinkler contractor on the calculations for the increased fire load due to the occupancy.....after which the contractor sent the owner a bill for $600 for new calculations. (That's a separate issue. I think the sprinkler contractor should have know what to calculate originally so now I'm fighting about that) He say no issues with the atrium existing fire suppression system but the building inspector was still unconvinced and the owner had to hire a consultant to document all as-built conditions for the atrium, expensive, done and delivered to the building inspector.....silence now for 2 weeks. Don't know if he accepts it or not. Restaurant opens in 2 weeks. Guess I'll find out then if he's going to put the kabash on the project. At that point I might be out of a job. :oops:

= + =

nitramnaed,

You may want to call the Bldg. Inspectors office to inquire [ i.e. - respectfully find a decision-maker ]

Waiting on something like this is not recommended.......Others; besides the Bldg. Inspector, have

schedules too!

Is the Bldg. Inspector the "decision-maker" in this case, or is there someone else up the food chain ?

= + =

north star said:
= + =nitramnaed,

You may want to call the Bldg. Inspectors office to inquire [ i.e. - respectfully find a decision-maker ]

Waiting on something like this is not recommended.......Others; besides the Bldg. Inspector, have

schedules too!

Is the Bldg. Inspector the "decision-maker" in this case, or is there someone else up the food chain ?

= + =
I agree with North Star, time is wasting.