• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Section 454 of the 2018 IBC

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The Florida Building Code is set up and mostly verbatim to the I-Codes with a few changes, some deletions and a bunch of additions. Since we, along with California are probably the swimming pool capitals of the world, Florida has a section that was added to the FBC that is more than likely not in your version of the IBC Chapter 4. Here is a snippet and a link to see it: What are your thoughts?

SECTION454
SWIMMING POOLS AND BATHING PLACES
(PUBLIC AND PRIVATE)​

454.1Public swimming pools and bathing places.​

Public swimming pools and bathing places shall comply with the design and construction standards of this section.
Exceptions:
  1. 1.A portable pool used exclusively for providing swimming lessons or related instruction in support of an established educational program sponsored or provided by a school district may not be regulated as a public pool. Such pool shall be regulated as a private swimming pool under Section 454.2.
  2. 2.A temporary pool may not be regulated as a public pool. Such pool shall be regulated as a private swimming pool under Section 454.2.

454.1.1Flood hazard areas.​

Public swimming pools installed in flood hazard areas established in Section 1612.3 shall comply with Section 1612.
Note: Other administrative and programmatic provisions apply. See Department of Health (DOH) Rule 64E-9, Florida Administrative Code and Chapter 514, Florida Statutes. The regulation and enforcement of the initial and annual operation permit for public pools are preempted to the DOH. The construction permit holder is responsible for obtaining an operation permit issued by DOH, as a public swimming pool shall not be put into operation without an inspection and operation permit issued from the DOH. DOH may grant variances from the provisions of the Florida Building Code specifically pertaining to public swimming pools and bathing places as authorized by Section 514.0115, Florida Statutes. Building officials shall recognize and enforce variance orders issued by the Department of Health pursuant to Section 514.0115(5), Florida Statutes including any conditions attached to the granting of the variance.

• “Bathing load” means the maximum number of persons allowed in the pool or bathing place at one time.
  • “Collector tank” means a reservoir, with a minimum of 2.25 square feet (0.2 m2) water surface area, that is vented by piping and/or open to the atmosphere, from which the recirculation or feature pump takes suction, which receives the gravity flow from the main drain line and surface overflow system or feature water source line, and that is cleanable. The vent shall measure a minimum of 12.56 square inches (8103 mm2) in area and shall be equipped with a screen, or equivalent device, to prohibit entry by animals. The vent shall be designed to minimize rainwater entry into the tank. Tanks with vented lids shall not be required to be equipped with a separate vent. Tanks shall be constructed of concrete or other impervious and structurally rigid material, with adequate manway access, shall be watertight, shall be free from structural cracks and shall have a nontoxic smooth finish.
  • “Department” means the permitting/inspection authority.
  • “Effective barrier” is a barrier which consists of a building, or equivalent structure, plus a 48-inch (1219 mm) minimum height fence on the remaining sides or a continuous 48-inch (1219 mm) minimum height fence. All access through the barrier must have one or more of the following safety features: alarm, key lock or self-locking doors and gates. Safety covers that comply with the American Society for Test Materials standard F1346 may also be considered as an effective barrier.
  • “D.E.” is the Diatomaceous Earth that is used as a filter aid in D.E.-type filters. For the purpose of this rule, it also includes alternative filter aids that have been approved under NSF/ANSI Standard 50, and accepted by the filter manufacturer.

I find a pool used for schools and teaching regulated as a private pool a little odd, but I don't know what the FL definition of a private pool or temporary is.

None of my pool documents define temporary, but the ISPSC does mention that it is applicable to temporary. Using undefined terms can be a problem.

I find a disconnect in pool terminology. It is frustrating that in the ISPSC I don't find a "private" pool (it uses "residential"). I do find a "semi-public" pool. In local health department and/or state regulations, I do find "private" pools as well as "semi-public" pools, but they have different definitions and applications. I wonder if we shouldn't adopt the state regs or defer to the local HD's to at least try to offer some consistency and continuity. It may not be a bid deal to require compliance with both except when you have competing definitions.

One last thing about the terminology. I don't like the term "may". For me it implies an option. In this case it is followed by a "shall", but if not carefully used it can be a sticky point. It seems redundant to use it at all in this case. Removing that terminology makes the same point and eliminates words from the code (something I thing should be strived for).

1. 1.A portable pool used exclusively for providing swimming lessons or related instruction in support of an established educational program sponsored or provided by a school district shall be regulated as a private swimming pool under Section 454.2.
  2. 2.A temporary pool shall be regulated as a private swimming pool under Section 454.2.