• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Securing house to new foundation

Rs331

We recently had to lift and move a house onto a new full foundation and in doing so the concrete contractor recommended not to put in the anchors until after the house was set in place. He recommended 7inx 3/8 thunder studs. I am having a heck of a time trying to find them. Any recommendations?

You need to make sure that those are whatever product you end up using meet code requirements. In many localities, the code is very strict about the type and number of anchors required.

Post installed anchors, both expansion and adhesive types, are not addressed in the IRC but they are addressed in the IBC. Thus to use them they will be subject to the special inspection requirements for such anchors in the IBC. Special inspection of the installation of these anchors is appropriate because their ability to function as desired is sensitive to installation.

ACI 318 references a standard for the qualification of these anchors. Thus any acceptance of these anchors should be based on these standards.

3/8 diameter anchors would not be permitted here. Expansion anchors require a specific torque value. A wood sill plate tends to crush before the torque value is met. For that reason, when I am asked in advance, I turn them down. When I find them after the fact, I ask for an engineered fix.

Okay I admit that I said "engineered fix".... that being the appropriate response. I usually find this mistake on residential work and being an autocrat and all, I tend to tell them to use epoxy anchors....and now and then I assume the role of special inspector.

Last edited: