• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Securing NM cable compliant with 334

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is what is being used. All tie wraps for every box and wire in the place.

AndIn some instances, these home made devices:]

Last edited:
jar546 said:
In some instances, these home made devices:

View attachment 1785
Home made devices? In Florida those are called "similar fittings".

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathedcable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties,

straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so

as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m

(41⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box,

junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be

stapled on edge.

Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway

shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.
Designed and install by true Florida craftsman.

I would have no problem with the install pictured.

My electrical inspector told me there are accepted tie wraps those whit a metal finger in them and the all the others, sorry no code reference, I asked him one day

me too.. just because it's not what we expect to see doesn't mean it doesn't comply with the intent of the code.

It appears NFPA is saying that the strapping of NM is just to keep it out of the way of the sheet rockers and after that is installed, strapping is no longer necessary. 334.30(B)(1). If these methods accomplish that and last that long, they seem compliant.

I don't invest in the NEC handbook, which usually has a little more explanatory information. Doesn't really matter why the Code requires it...