• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Seeking Clarification on R310.6

Aren't you missing a bigger issue, as a condo with a board and CC & R's, what was the basement represented as at time of purchase?
Did you use a home inspector prior to the purchase?
Wouldn't any remodeling require board approval?
Who does the inspector report to?
Is this in a city or an unincorporated area of a county?

When I purchased the property in 2009, the basement was unfinished. Concrete Walls. Concrete Floor. Two tiny windows.
Yes, I did.
Not sure about the board approval, but I think so.
Not sure who he reports to directly, but I know he should have to answer to the state inspection board.
This is in a town.

Following his letter to me stating that I needed to come to his office to resolve the issue, I applied for a permit. He rejected the permit with a rejection letter which cites only R310.1. I do not have an egress in the basement, which is correct. However, with R310.6 it seems like I shouldn't be required to add one for alterations to an existing basement.

My current course of action is to wait until tomorrow (gov't offices closed on the holiday today) and ask. I would expect them to tell me the clarification of R310.6 and either tell me they can overrule him, tell me to appeal, or tell me I don't have a case.

As stated either re apply or resubmit and quote that section.

When an inspector cites something a person can always say what about this section.

But in your case do it in writing. That makes it offical and should get an offical response

Should? If a town then he usually reports to a chief building official, have you inquired?
What do the plans for the unfinished basement cal it?
Is it the full footprint of the house?

Should? If a town then he usually reports to a chief building official, have you inquired?
What do the plans for the unfinished basement cal it?
Is it the full footprint of the house?

I think this is a one horse town

? you live in it, no? What is its name?
Only problem I have with stating the name of the town is that it therefore names (effectively) the building inspector. I don't think it a good idea to affect this person's reputation. It certainly doesn't seem like it would help me.

I am gathering my information to call the state board and find out what they say. Hopefully I will get some answers soon.

One horse towns usually have a mayor and a city attorney, have you tried either one? Going to the state "jumps the shark", you need to go to his superior first.

One horse towns usually have a mayor and a city attorney, have you tried either one? Going to the state "jumps the shark", you need to go to his superior first.

I put in a call to the state inspection board, and I don't anticipate them getting back to me any time soon. (Voicemail)

I just talked to a group of contractors, showing them the basement, and explaining the situation to them, and they agree he is "being a ball-buster". They have recommended a certified Engineer to come down, examine for violations, stamp it, and hand it to the inspector and see what happens.

I am thinking reapply, and cite section and wording.

See what the response is.