• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Seeking section from 2013 Cali Res Code, tlt24

Glenn

I am looking for the text from section R312.1.2, Height, of the 2013 California Residential Code.

This is assuming it followed the IRC layout at that time.

Thank you for helping. I've got a lot of code books from across the country if I can ever return the favor.
www.buildingcodecollege.com/library

Suggest you check it

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-residential-code-2016/chapter/3/building-planning#3

R312.1.2 Height

Required guards at open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, porches, balconies or landings, shall be not less than 42 inches (1067 mm) in height as measured vertically above the adjacent walking surface or the line connecting the leading edges of the treads.

Exceptions:
  1. Guards on the open sides of stairs shall have a height not less than 34 inches (864 mm) measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads.
  2. Where the top of the guard serves as a handrail on the open sides of stairs, the top of the guard shall be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm) as measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads.

Suggest you check it

https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-residential-code-2016/chapter/3/building-planning#3

R312.1.2 Height

Required guards at open-sided walking surfaces, including stairs, porches, balconies or landings, shall be not less than 42 inches (1067 mm) in height as measured vertically above the adjacent walking surface or the line connecting the leading edges of the treads.

Exceptions:
  1. Guards on the open sides of stairs shall have a height not less than 34 inches (864 mm) measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads.
  2. Where the top of the guard serves as a handrail on the open sides of stairs, the top of the guard shall be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm) as measured vertically from a line connecting the leading edges of the treads.
Thanks CDA, but I'm specifically looking for the 2013 edition, as that is based of them 2012 IRC (I believe) and the section changes in the 2015. ICC only provides the current 2019 Title 24 for free view.